News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 02:33:37 PM
Well color me surprised Hawai'i is so poor.

Why would you be surprised about that?  It's an island in the middle of nowhere with nothing to offer except a tourist industry.  Not exactly a hotbed of industrial or financial activity.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on November 18, 2015, 02:38:59 PM
Why would you be surprised about that?  It's an island in the middle of nowhere with nothing to offer except a tourist industry.  Not exactly a hotbed of industrial or financial activity.

I'm surprised in part because the cost of living is so high.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 02:40:46 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 18, 2015, 02:38:59 PM

I'm surprised in part because the cost of living is so high.

Well the cost of living has nothing to do with it - the cost of living in Nunavut is astronomical, but the territory is still dirt poor.

But yeah I was a bit surprised at that as well.  It may not have much besides tourism, but it is stunningly beautiful and with wonderful weather - you'd think more high income people would move there on their own.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

A lot of people move to Hawaii after they've made their dough. And the chart seems to be about income, not wealth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on November 18, 2015, 12:10:03 PM
It's from the Faeroe Islands, I'm pretty sure they've gutted whales before. :P

What, is that something bored teens do there, like "cow tipping"?

'Hey bro, let's get hammered and go gut some whales'?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2015, 02:52:45 PM

It's a huge attraction to see whales gutted here whenever they beach on our shores.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 02:33:37 PM
Well color me surprised Hawai'i is so poor.

Half a million in Manhattan is also poor.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on November 18, 2015, 06:49:55 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2015, 02:52:45 PM

It's a huge attraction to see whales gutted here whenever they beach on our shores.

No internet?

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 07:29:53 PM
No internet?

I guess some things are best experienced in person rather than online.

garbon

I'd guess there are better things online to experience than that in person.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

And that's why Brain doesn't get invited to cook outs any more.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Finally, finally, finally trying to get my long delayed holiday booked....
I think I'm going to go down the route of two single flights, doesn't seem to be that much more than a return and lets me enter and leave from different places.

One cheap flight has a long stop over in Kuwait...
Yay? Or will I be beheaded?
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Liep on November 18, 2015, 09:13:42 AM
Copenhagen Airport closed down for 2 hours because of a bomb threat, two idiots had joked about having a bomb in on of their suitcases. I really hope they get to cover the cost of the delays.

They were both Greeks and they've just been jailed until 2nd of December where they receive their sentence.

Apparently they went up to a female security officer and said they had a bomb in one of their bags and that one of them was the sought after terrorist from Paris. When asked if they were joking they said "no, this is real".

In a preliminary court session they said they "just wanted to have some fun with the beautiful woman security guard." :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk