News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2015, 11:09:01 AM
I just found out that the US sends military aid to Vietnam.

The War on Drugs, eh?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Yeah that went so well the last time. What could go wrong just sending them a few helicopters and advisers...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2015, 06:59:52 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2015, 03:26:46 AM
Quotewhat's up with your francophobia 
I have to listen to it every day.

Not really an answer. Half of my team is French and frequently speak French to one another.
I have to hear it every day and the unspoken self evident part of the post- it is an irritating, ugly language.

I miss japanese, swedish and even Dutch.  Would have liked to learn them.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2015, 11:59:51 AM
I have to hear it every day and the unspoken self evident part of the post- it is an irritating, ugly language.

Why would such a wrong-headed opinion, so against all decent taste and common sense, be self-evident?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2015, 12:03:51 PM

Why would such a wrong-headed opinion, so against all decent taste and common sense, be self-evident?

Little Englander factor.  :smarty:

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2015, 11:25:26 AM

The War on Drugs, eh?

Looks like it's to box China in.  It's not a lot of aid, it seems to be based around educating Vietnamese officers in English, but it still seems weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Not really an answer. Half of my team is French and frequently speak French to one another.

You speak English! Basically the sound grinding teeth together makes!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2015, 12:03:51 PM

The Germanic languages, though generally not 'pretty' in the conventional sense of the word, have a certain logical beauty to them.. They also have this fraternal pseudo-English factor about them which just tugs at the ears and says "You should understand this".
The true romance languages (Spanish & Italian)...Now they are pretty. They have a wonderful free-flowing almost sing song quality to them. They're passionate yet relaxed. They're exotic but still vaguely familiar. Which is a tantalising combination. A pretty girl speaking these languages is one of the most wonderful things in the world.

French....French has none of this. Its the ugly middle child. It lacks the flowing beauty of its southern brethren and it is completely berift of the logical kool that makes the Germanic languages so fascinating. Its just there. Clearing its throat and mumbling, conjugating one word into another for no good reason.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2015, 12:13:14 PM
You speak English! Basically the sound grinding teeth together makes!
You don't have to be Lionel Messi to say Joey Barton sucks :contract:
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2015, 12:36:45 PM
The Germanic languages, though generally not 'pretty' in the conventional sense of the word, have a certain logical beauty to them.. They also have this fraternal pseudo-English factor about them which just tugs at the ears and says "You should understand this".
The true romance languages (Spanish & Italian)...Now they are pretty. They have a wonderful free-flowing almost sing song quality to them. They're passionate yet relaxed. They're exotic but still vaguely familiar. Which is a tantalising combination. A pretty girl speaking these languages is one of the most wonderful things in the world.

French....French has none of this. Its the ugly middle child. It lacks the flowing beauty of its southern brethren and it is completely berift of the logical kool that makes the Germanic languages so fascinating. Its just there. Clearing its throat and mumbling, conjugating one word into another for no good reason.

:lol:

How lettowesque.

Tamas

Oi, mate, pickin' on da ol' French a' ya? Is al good bruv, 'avin a laugh n' all, bot les be honest: the queen's own ain't something to frame on the wall now innit?!

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on November 12, 2015, 12:58:52 PM

Oi, mate, pickin' on da ol' French a' ya? Is al good bruv, 'avin a laugh n' all, bot les be honest: the queen's own ain't something to frame on the wall now innit?!

A magyar has no right to criticize other people's languages.  :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2015, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2015, 08:54:29 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2015, 09:39:06 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2015, 05:58:52 PM
Not taking some sort of action is preferable?

Hell, why aren't we sacking university presidents and engaging in hunger strikes over global warming, or the war in Syria?  :hmm: That'll show 'em.

Because we were able to elect people that took those issues more seriously  :P

Good thing the Tories lost, then. Saved our university presidents from sacking, and our students from starving.  ;)

University Presidents tend to have no ability to institute policies that deal with the war in Syria.  University Presidents tend to have a great deal of influence over policies which deal with the conduct of students.  Your analogy is getting close to Marti territory circa 2000.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2015, 01:03:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2015, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2015, 08:54:29 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2015, 09:39:06 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2015, 05:58:52 PM
Not taking some sort of action is preferable?

Hell, why aren't we sacking university presidents and engaging in hunger strikes over global warming, or the war in Syria?  :hmm: That'll show 'em.

Because we were able to elect people that took those issues more seriously  :P

Good thing the Tories lost, then. Saved our university presidents from sacking, and our students from starving.  ;)

University Presidents tend to have no ability to institute policies that deal with the war in Syria.  University Presidents tend to have a great deal of influence over policies which deal with the conduct of students.  Your analogy is getting close to Marti territory circa 2000.

Hey, I'm responding to your reply.

Thought I would disagree - university presidents have, in fact, very limited capacity to deal with acts like some nut making a "shit swastika". I'm pretty sure that each and every university president is "against" that sort of thing. The notion that, if only the "right policies" were in place, that sort of thing would not happen - lacks an air of reality.

Now it could be that these administrators are guilty of other stuff. But so far, it appears that they are catching blame for stuff no actual reasonable person could possibly think they could prevent, and I'm sorta surprised you support that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius