News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2015, 01:15:51 PM
Thought I would disagree - university presidents have, in fact, very limited capacity to deal with acts like some nut making a "shit swastika".

University President's typically are in charge of discipline of students.  I am not sure who is at that particular university but it is likely that it is either the President or someone falling under the President's control.   So when students on campus call other students "nigger" that is an issue the President needs to address in some way.

garbon

Yes, let's pretend we don't now have a relevant thread. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I just wanted to create a safe space. :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I've discovered a serious problem. My favorite emoji does not exist on Android phones. There will be an option when my phone is upgraded to latest version of Android and that'll work when I use whatspp / message iPhone users. But on Android though...WTF?

Barrister

QuoteEdmonton flyover by fighter jets to honour Cold Lake pilot
Capt. Chris Allan drowned in a boating accident last month
CBC News Posted: Nov 12, 2015 6:00 AM MT Last Updated: Nov 12, 2015 12:05 PM MT

Two CF-18 Hornets from 4 Wing Cold Lake will fly over the Winspear Centre in downtown Edmonton on Thursday.

Two CF-18 fighter jets from Cold Lake will roar over downtown Edmonton on Thursday afternoon, in a special military salute to Capt. Chris Allan, being honoured in a memorial ceremony at the Winspear Centre.

His friends called him "Axe," and according to his family, he spent his life on "afterburner" and had a passion for the outdoors, fishing, sports and aviation.

Allan spent much of his time in the clouds, working as a Royal Canadian Air Force fighter pilot in Cold Lake.

The 31-year-old died last month while salmon fishing on the Pacific Coast, near Campbell River, B.C.

Allan and three friends were returning from a fishing trip Oct. 24 when their boat capsized, throwing all four overboard. They were pulled from the water by RCMP shortly afterwards, but Allan was unresponsive and died two days later.

Captain Chris Allan
Capt. Chris Allan, 31, died after a boating accident on the Pacific Coast.

Though still a young man, Allan's military accomplishments were many.

"He was a very dedicated and talented officer," said Lt.-Col. William Radiff, Allen's commanding officer. "He was the leader of his peers and a very talented fighter pilot."

Radiff said people who worked alongside Allan were blindsided by news of his death.

"There was a lot of people visibly upset, and that goes to show the quality of man that Chris was."

Originally posted to CFB Cold Lake, Allan completed training on the CF-18 Hornet in November 2010, and 'earned his wings' within a year. Three overseas deployments followed: two in Kuwait and a third to Romania, earning him a campaign star.

Allan's final posting saw him return to Cold Lake, where he had been living with the "love of his life," Julie Martindale. They were set to be married in a casual outdoor ceremony on Nov 28, in Canmore.

Friends, family and colleagues are welcome to attend Allan's memorial service at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12  at the Winspear Centre. The flyover will happen between 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-flyover-by-fighter-jets-to-honour-cold-lake-pilot-1.3313955

They just flew by - set off car alarms all over the place.  Very, very loud.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2015, 01:03:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2015, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2015, 08:54:29 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2015, 09:39:06 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2015, 05:58:52 PM
Not taking some sort of action is preferable?

Hell, why aren't we sacking university presidents and engaging in hunger strikes over global warming, or the war in Syria?  :hmm: That'll show 'em.

Because we were able to elect people that took those issues more seriously  :P

Good thing the Tories lost, then. Saved our university presidents from sacking, and our students from starving.  ;)

University Presidents tend to have no ability to institute policies that deal with the war in Syria.  University Presidents tend to have a great deal of influence over policies which deal with the conduct of students.  Your analogy is getting close to Marti territory circa 2000.

University presidents have no control over what people say to one another on public streets or private businesses or what happened in a suburb of St. Louis  Also a University president who was installed two years ago has no control over nasty pranks and hate speech on campus that occurred four and five years ago or policies that University had sixty years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

The forum is currently experiencing epic Timmay fail.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2015, 08:36:24 PM

No, Liep was right.  There is only one letter difference between the two.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2015, 08:43:49 PM

So should I post the news or give him a half day to find it and do his thing?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2015, 08:47:04 PM

You obviously enjoy the passive-aggressive nagging and he doesn't seem to mind, so why don't you string it out for a day or two?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2015, 08:47:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2015, 08:43:49 PM

A quick look at science sections of the news reveals nothing earthshaking. :unsure:

Are you talking about recent Pluto news?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

They even had the story on Danish news sites.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on November 12, 2015, 09:13:11 PM
They even had the story on Danish news sites.
Not Pluto?

The meteor in Thialand?

The nearby exoplanet? It's more a Venus analogue than an Earth one.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point