And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2015, 07:17:52 AM
This popped up in my Facebook:

In your sister's defense the statement doesn't declare what country the statistics refer to.  In the US there were 12, 664 murders in the US.  8,583 were committed using firearms.  I'm not certain how many people were killed "by Obamacare", though I imagine the number is close to "0".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2015, 09:06:51 AM
Yeah the gun people are posting more and more hysterical memes.

But it is true that assault rifles kill a very small number of people every year. There are just not that many of them floating around out there. Handguns are the big killers.

A) Define "assault rifle"
B) The ratio of handguns to semiauto rifles is far lower than the ratio of handgun deaths to semiauto rifle deaths.  Long guns, regardless of type, are just not good weapons for most criminal activity in a nation with an effective police force.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2015, 09:16:31 AMIn your sister's defense

It's actually my brother in law this time. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 09, 2015, 09:17:05 AM

Whatever definition was used in that meme.

QuoteB) The ratio of handguns to semiauto rifles is far lower than the ratio of handgun deaths to semiauto rifle deaths.

So? All relationships need not be linear. -_-

QuoteLong guns, regardless of type, are just not good weapons for most criminal activity in a nation with an effective police force.

Indeed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2015, 09:22:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2015, 09:16:31 AMIn your sister's defense

It's actually my brother in law this time. ;)

I did a bit of digging and statistics apparently come from 2011 which predates when people could buy insurance from ACA exchanges.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2015, 09:24:33 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 09, 2015, 09:17:05 AM

Whatever definition was used in that meme.

The Meme appears to be using the total rifle deaths from the FBI statistics.  I think they are somehow projecting some of the "unknown firearm" deaths onto rifles.  The FBI does not track what type of rifle was used.

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2015, 09:24:33 AM
QuoteB) The ratio of handguns to semiauto rifles is far lower than the ratio of handgun deaths to semiauto rifle deaths.

So? All relationships need not be linear. -_-

No, but a significant difference between the ratios implies that supply of one vice the other is irrelevant. -_-

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2015, 01:50:43 PM
I was thinking the same. :D

Me too. We are such a forum of nerds.

I visited the USS Constitution a few years ago. As a navy ship, the tour guide was in the Navy. I don't think our guide was yet 20, from Tennessee and of Asian descent, might have been just over 5 feet tall, and I'd bet weighed less than 100 pounds. Super extroverted and kept control guiding a group of about 20 people, but not your normal tour guide. Didn't put things in academic terms, used the word "we" a lot, as in, "this ship was undefeated. It went into battle 30 times, and guys, we were 30-0 with this ship!"

The juxtoposition of what the crew of the ship was and what it is in the current day was kind of cool/funny/jolting. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Most of the world's problems we discuss here in languish could be solved by nukes from orbit. Lately it looks like we may need more nukes.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

You know that was always a dumb statement.  When you are orbit around something, using a nuke a waste of resources.  You can just chuck large chunks of iron at something and you'll get a megaton size explosion when they hit the surface.

MadImmortalMan

It's expensive to get heavy things into orbit. A nuke is lighter than a big chunk of iron. Now, chucking rock off the moon or pulling asteroids maybe.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2015, 01:01:16 PM
You know that was always a dumb statement.  When you are orbit around something, using a nuke a waste of resources.  You can just chuck large chunks of iron at something and you'll get a megaton size explosion when they hit the surface.

Those would need to be very large chunks of iron to get to megaton levels.  The tungsten rods the Air Force planned to use (20ft long and 1ft diameter) would only have an explosive yield equivalent of 11.5 tons.

lustindarkness

Raz, if it makes you feel better, we can just send a nuke over to you in MO by truck. ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Random factoid: between 1869 and 1913, eight out of nine US presidents had facial hair - McKinley was the only exception, and he was assassinated (but so was Garfield, who sported a proud beard).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Who was the last president that had facial hair?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk