News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Got a job interview at the bank!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2015, 03:12:26 PM
Got a job interview at the bank!

Raz, Good luck with that; fingers crossed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Hey, Syt, SFDebris is finally back with some Trek stuff. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

An AC130 shot up a Medicins sans Frontiere hospital in northern Afghanistan.  Around 20 dead staff and patients.

jimmy olsen

:hmm:

Quote from: L. Neil SmithA sophisticated society doesn't lack customs, it simply has so many they all cancel out. It may be considered a measure of civilization how long a hypothetical "Man from Mars" can wander around without running afoul of the gendarmes or getting burned at the stake for violating some taboo.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2015, 01:57:36 AM
:hmm:

Quote from: L. Neil SmithA sophisticated society doesn't lack customs, it simply has so many they all cancel out. It may be considered a measure of civilization how long a hypothetical "Man from Mars" can wander around without running afoul of the gendarmes or getting burned at the stake for violating some taboo.

He's a loon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Brazen

Was this you, Mono?
QuoteA Chinese customer left a seafood restaurant in the city of Qingdao with a bad taste in his mouth after claiming he was overcharged for prawns.

The diner ordered a dish of prawns that appeared to be marked at 38 yuan (£4, $6) on the menu, reported local media.

But he was later told the menu had specified the price was for each prawn, and was asked to pay 1,520 yuan (£160; $240) for the dish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-34451390

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on October 05, 2015, 05:37:11 PM
Hey, Syt, SFDebris is finally back with some Trek stuff. :)

Yeah, I've seen. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

I saw this chick being interviewed in cnbc yesterday.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/10/yelp-for-people-app-if-it-exists-disappears-from-the-internet/

She was maybe the most smug shitty-attitude sort of person you could imagine. Basically, it's a rating system for people. Like we could make Martinus a page and all go on it and give him bad reviews so he couldn't get a job in the future.

Megan Kelly called it a "Mean Girl" app.

Total positivity.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Has anyone ever been to a local TED? I like to browse their online archives, but not sure if I want to pay 100+ for the Vienna event at the end of the month (though the speakers look interesting ... then again most of it will be online afterwards ...).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

QuoteI saw this chick being interviewed in cnbc yesterday.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/10/yelp-for-people-app-if-it-exists-disappears-from-the-internet/

She was maybe the most smug shitty-attitude sort of person you could imagine. Basically, it's a rating system for people. Like we could make Martinus a page and all go on it and give him bad reviews so he couldn't get a job in the future.

Megan Kelly called it a "Mean Girl" app.

Yes, I've been following that one. It's interesting, Community already did an episode about such a thing.
However the latest update today suggests the app isn't real and instead its all publicity for something else. :hmm:

Nonetheless...the professional world at least is heading that way. Watson :ph34r:

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2015, 02:05:39 PM
Has anyone ever been to a local TED? I like to browse their online archives, but not sure if I want to pay 100+ for the Vienna event at the end of the month (though the speakers look interesting ... then again most of it will be online afterwards ...).
Get your company to pay? :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2015, 02:05:39 PM

Is it "real" TED or TEDx?  The TEDx events are only loosely affiliated with the core organization and tend to be worthless shit filled with kooky fringe bullshit.

Ideologue

Oh, since nobody cared the first time, large swathes of Columbia have been evacuated.  Dams have burst all over the uplands, and, seriously, the city's underwater.

Barack Obama doesn't care about white people.  Or other black people. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

[Sherman] The wind did it [/Sherman]
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2015, 06:05:38 PM
Oh, since nobody cared the first time, large swathes of Columbia have been evacuated.  Dams have burst all over the uplands, and, seriously, the city's underwater.

Barack Obama doesn't care about white people.  Or other black people. :(

Didn't South Carolina refuse federal emergency dollars or something? I forget. There is something like that going on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."