Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 11:07:22 AM
Yet Henry is barely mentioned :weep:

And the world's largest company is run by a Tim.  :cool:

And Joshua?  Eh, he'll have to manage by merely having the same name as Our Lord and Saviour.  :showoff:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Is our Lord and Savior named Joshua? :unsure:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on September 29, 2015, 08:56:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 08:21:22 AMI'm fairly certain that it has it's origins in Dawkin's word, and it's usage is an attempt to describe what he thought a "meme" was.

the first person who used it incorrectly by applying the word to the internet phenomenon, yeah. your beef is with him. but all the other people? at this point, you can't change the name. it's all over the place. maybe really, really early on there might have been enough force to change it from "meme" to something else, but now it's become a common expression. therefore, "meme" has a new definition. imagine a dictionary: meme = (1) dawkins's meme, (2) internet meme.

The thing is, it wasn't being used incorrectly.  It's pretty close to what Dawkins meant by a meme (the concept is incoherent so "pretty close" is about the best you can do for any use of the word).  It is simply a bad idea that having being rejected by academia (or never taken seriously), continues to be used by idiots on the Internet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Having my first pumpkin spiced latte. I paid how much extra for some nutmeg and cinnamon?

edit: Actually maybe people like it for the ending. Last several mouthfuls look to be full of spice and sugar. I took one sip of the end and had to give up as that is even too much sugar for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2015, 11:26:34 AM

People say that a lot, though it seems odd as there is another bible figure whose name is commonly transliterated as "Joshua" rather than "Jesus".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Meh, Yehoshua and Yeshua are forms of the same Hebrew name.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 29, 2015, 11:31:51 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2015, 11:26:34 AM

People say that a lot, though it seems odd as there is another bible figure whose name is commonly transliterated as "Joshua" rather than "Jesus".

I think that's for the convenience of Westerners.  One name is more latinized then the other so people can tell the people apart.  It's confusing to have a culture with only 10 names.  I mean look at the 12 Apostles.

Simon also known as Peter
Andrew
James
John
Philip
Bartholomew for some reason called Nathanael
Thomas also called Didymus
Mathew
Another guy named James
Thaddaeus also called Jude
Another guy named Simon
Judas

These are latanized names.  I don't know what they are originally.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

I think you mean Greekified names. And none of them are typical greek or latin names so I don't get the convenience part.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Well, Philip and Peter are pretty Greek.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on September 29, 2015, 10:47:12 PM
Well, Philip and Peter are pretty Greek.

Well that's true. But that might have been their actual names, lots of Greek influence in that region.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on September 29, 2015, 10:19:10 AM
Shocking statistic: there are more CEOs called Andrew or Andy than there are women.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/shortcuts/2015/sep/29/want-to-get-ahead-in-business-be-man-called-andrew

On a positive note, the study seems to disprove the stereotype that a significant number of women are sleeping their way to the top.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Lettow77

Alarm clocks are standing in the way of women's upward mobility.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on September 29, 2015, 05:50:02 AM
From an old thread on the CivFanatic forums:

Should have posted that in the Welsh thread.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 10:40:06 PM
I think you mean Greekified names. And none of them are typical greek or latin names so I don't get the convenience part.

Most of our Greek words are Latanized.  There is a reason we talk about centaurs rather then Kentauros.