News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

meme is just a name for how weird internet culture operates. while the word has an actual meaning that doesn't fit its modern day usage, you see that with tons of words. internet "memes" don't refer to dawkins's meme.

Jaron

I think memes just annoy Raz and he is being grumpy about it. I think memes are wonderful and funny and let people showcase their creativity.

It truly is one of the great social innovations of this century. A way to share our ideas and humor in a way that is very easy to identify with.

I am not super familiar with meme theory so I really can't comment on that, but if this many people say it is a meme then it is so.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

From an old thread on the CivFanatic forums:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2015, 02:21:56 AM
So what would you prefer it be called when there is something that is slightly odd, that a large group of people treat sort of as an in-joke for a while until it gets stale?

You mean "after it gets stale".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on September 29, 2015, 04:15:46 AM
meme is just a name for how weird internet culture operates. while the word has an actual meaning that doesn't fit its modern day usage, you see that with tons of words. internet "memes" don't refer to dawkins's meme.

I'm fairly certain that it has it's origins in Dawkin's word, and it's usage is an attempt to describe what he thought a "meme" was.  An idea that modifies as it moves from person to person not because the person modifies it but because it modifies itself... somehow (this is sort of where the theory fell apart.)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2015, 02:21:56 AM
So what would you prefer it be called when there is something that is slightly odd, that a large group of people treat sort of as an in-joke for a while until it gets stale?

How about a "Hitler", "Child-molester", or a "motherfucker".  Are any of those terms used for anything?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 08:21:22 AMI'm fairly certain that it has it's origins in Dawkin's word, and it's usage is an attempt to describe what he thought a "meme" was.

the first person who used it incorrectly by applying the word to the internet phenomenon, yeah. your beef is with him. but all the other people? at this point, you can't change the name. it's all over the place. maybe really, really early on there might have been enough force to change it from "meme" to something else, but now it's become a common expression. therefore, "meme" has a new definition. imagine a dictionary: meme = (1) dawkins's meme, (2) internet meme.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on September 29, 2015, 08:56:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 08:21:22 AMI'm fairly certain that it has it's origins in Dawkin's word, and it's usage is an attempt to describe what he thought a "meme" was.

the first person who used it incorrectly by applying the word to the internet phenomenon, yeah. your beef is with him. but all the other people? at this point, you can't change the name. it's all over the place. maybe really, really early on there might have been enough force to change it from "meme" to something else, but now it's become a common expression. therefore, "meme" has a new definition. imagine a dictionary: meme = (1) dawkins's meme, (2) internet meme.

Well look what homosexuals did with stealing 'gay' and 'rainbows'!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 08:22:13 AM
or a "motherfucker".  Are any of those terms used for anything?

This one seems counter to your point given that most people don't use that literally.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Valmy

Damn it! I named my sons the wrong name.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 10:33:56 AM

It isn't too late to change them  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 10:33:56 AM

In your face, Flanders!  :cool:

Though if you look at the article, if you chose a different set of huge companies David comes out on top. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yet Henry is barely mentioned :weep:

Also the article suggests in order to really have a leg up  they needed to be born in the 50s or 60s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Yeah, their CEOs will have names like Tyler and Brandon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?