And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

QuoteMy mom said he's from North Korea, which is also kind of weird, because I've met him and he looks 40ish or so, too young to have come south before the war like my mom did.  I would think NK would be especially uptight about granting legal entry to folks who had jumped the border and fled the workers' paradise.

That part does seem odd.  However, North Korea is supposedly open (as of 2010) to US citizens year round on the guided tours.  The State Department still thinks it's a horrible idea for a US citizen to go to North Korea, though (and suggests you let the Swedes know you'll be going, first):

http://travel.cnn.com/how-travel-north-korea-042681
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/north-korea-travel-warning.html

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

I got to inquire, has facebook devolved into nothing but stupid memes?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on September 27, 2015, 01:32:10 AM

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on September 27, 2015, 01:32:10 AM

The internet pretty much has.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Upper Austria had state elections:

ÖVP   36,3 %   (-10,5  %)
SPÖ   18,3 %   (-6,6  %)
FPÖ   30,4 %   (+15,1  %)
GRÜNE   10,4 %   (+1,2  %)
Other   4,6 %   
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2015, 12:15:00 PM

Well isn't that special?

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2015, 12:43:55 PM

Well isn't that special?
They won 26.9% in the Austrian federal election of 1999, so it's not that much better than their historical results. Actually it's rather paltry compared to the 99,73% that their spiritual successor got back in the day. :P

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on September 27, 2015, 01:17:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2015, 12:43:55 PM

Well isn't that special?
They won 26.9% in the Austrian federal election of 1999, so it's not that much better than their historical results. Actually it's rather paltry compared to the 99,73% that their spiritual successor got back in the day. :P

An interactive map of which party won which district: http://orf.at/wahl/ooe15/#analysis

In Braunau am Inn, FPÖ was strongest party with 36+%. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

I can't see the moon from my window. Is this super blood moon worth going out in the cold for?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

I wasn't impressed with it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Liep on September 27, 2015, 08:43:12 PM
I can't see the moon from my window. Is this super blood moon worth going out in the cold for?

Looks like taking a bite from a cookie.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Well between pouring rain and no clear sky and the fact that still have two hours of daylight, means no lunar eclipse pics for me.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on September 27, 2015, 08:43:12 PM

It's pretty cool looking.