News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2015, 12:13:32 PM
Canadians seem to have a higher ratio of generally mocked bands and artists(Bieber/Dion/Nickelback/Snow) to well-respected ones(Neil Young, arguably Rush and Drake).
Rush makes up for all of them. :wub:

:hmm:

Maybe all of them but Celine Dion though. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 25, 2015, 11:02:03 AM
Canadian musical acts are just like American musical acts. It's the same artists & the same tours.

Canadians seem to have a higher ratio of generally mocked bands and artists(Bieber/Dion/Nickelback/Snow) to well-respected ones(Neil Young, arguably Rush and Drake).

Indeed, and the likeliest root cause is Canada's state-run music industry, and its lack of profit motive.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2015, 01:44:40 PM
Canadian musical acts are just like American musical acts. It's the same artists & the same tours.

Indeed, and the likeliest root cause is Canada's state-run music industry, and its lack of profit motive.

:lol:

CBC! CBC!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

They are freeloading on the US Market.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Meowtf?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2015, 01:50:20 PM

Meowtf?

:secret: He's poking fun ay Yi's take on the Canadian pharma industry in another thread.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Just had a bite of North Korean rice cake.  A pastor my parents know just got back from there.  My mom was not clear on how a) a US citizen could travel there and b) bring back NK products.

Josquius

b) surely would be something the Norks would actively encourage.
a) however does seem mysterious, especially a pastor; is he Korean ethnicity? I hear they especially get weird about that.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2015, 02:30:09 PM
b) surely would be something the Norks would actively encourage.
a) however does seem mysterious, especially a pastor; is he Korean ethnicity? I hear they especially get weird about that.

My mom said he's from North Korea, which is also kind of weird, because I've met him and he looks 40ish or so, too young to have come south before the war like my mom did.  I would think NK would be especially uptight about granting legal entry to folks who had jumped the border and fled the workers' paradise.

Josquius

You'd also have to be fucking insane to go back under such circumstances :hmm:
Maybe she means North-South Korea (i.e. the only real Korea)?
Or the Chinese parts near the border full of Koreans (i.e. your mother is an old school Korean nationalist)?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2015, 01:47:56 PM

They are freeloading on the US Market.

:lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2015, 02:39:52 PM
Maybe she means North-South Korea (i.e. the only real Korea)?

No.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.