News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

I am happy that this thread still continues.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2015, 11:27:29 PM
Good luck GF - reading between the lines it sounds like you and the soon-to-be-missus are going through a rough patch.  Hope you make it through. :hug:

Rough? No, no more than usual. Being conscious of where our money goes at all times is just part of it at our revenu step.

Also, in 2016, I need to buy a roof. Those things are expensive!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Insurance paid for my last roof.  Thank you frequent Kentucky hailstorms. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2015, 08:58:11 AM
Insurance paid for my last roof.  Thank you frequent Kentucky hailstorms. :cool:
:mad: People like you give property insurance actuaries sleepless nights.

Caliga

People who live in an area prone to hailstorms who are insured and file legitimate claims? :hmm:

Valmy

People who file claims period. They are the worst.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on September 01, 2015, 05:25:38 AM
I think my wedding cost £36. I got my outfit from a charity shop, then we had a house party. We didn't ask for gifts but received several and ended up with a net profit. If it's about commitment and not the clothes and party, I recommend doing it on vacation when other parties' expectations won't overly influence things.*

* NB this advice if brought to you by a divorcee :P

Heh, it often seems to me, anecdotally, that there is an inverse relationship between the amount of cash spent on a wedding, and its longevity.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Apparently, Yum brands gets 52% of their income from China. That's KFC and Pizza Hut.

Chinese people must really like fried chicken.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 01, 2015, 10:17:09 AM
Apparently, Yum brands gets 52% of their income from China. That's KFC and Pizza Hut.
Yum is obsessed with China, yes.  My mother in law retired from Yum as an admin for their VP of Quality Assurance, who practically lives in China now, or at least did last I spoke with her.

They seem to be putting all of their eggs in one basket, as it's pretty obvious they don't give a fuck about their American outlets, given how pretty much every Yum brand I go into (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell) is chronically dirty, understaffed, and the food quality is poor.

Grey Fox

Conquer before Coke does, eh.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2015, 10:21:10 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 01, 2015, 10:17:09 AM
Yum is obsessed with China, yes.  My mother in law retired from Yum as an admin for their VP of Quality Assurance, who practically lives in China now, or at least did last I spoke with her.

They seem to be putting all of their eggs in one basket, as it's pretty obvious they don't give a fuck about their American outlets, given how pretty much every Yum brand I go into (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell) is chronically dirty, understaffed, and the food quality is poor.

So somebody at one point said hey there's a billion people, let's go sell them chicken, pizza and tacos. I think KFC is the lion's share, but I've never been to China so I can't say. I do wonder how saturated that market is at this point.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Mono:  would you eat at a KFC?

I'm curious what the man on the street in China thinks about KFC.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2015, 11:18:31 AM
Mono:  would you eat at a KFC?

I'm curious what the man on the street in China thinks about KFC.

As far as I know, he isn't a man on the street. More like man in the tall tower.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.