News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on July 07, 2015, 03:39:44 PM
Sold my mountain bike! I hope. 2500DKK towards my touring bike budget.

:thumbsup:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2015, 03:32:26 PM
And it is sickening how much of that is by design. :x

How so?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2015, 03:50:19 PM

How so?

Centralized governments going back years. It used to be a far bigger thing in England than in France. Then the French revolution rolled in and made everything about Paris.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on July 07, 2015, 03:30:14 PM
In Swedish Lapland people live like royalty.
Do you still have villages up there offering free land if you're willing to live there?

No. :(

Btw Anders Chydenius (1729-1803) suggested making Lapland a libertarian's wet dream, but his advice was ignored.

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2015, 03:46:23 PM
Well, I guess I should've qualified my statements.  I would prefer my car to give me a sensation of speed at speeds that I can actually drive at without landing in jail.  That's where my 2008 turbo Jetta feels way more fun than any BMW or Mercedes I test-drove.  Audi was much closer, but Jetta was still more fun.  And it sure handles really well, though I guess at track speeds it wouldn't quite measure up.
A Volkswagen Jetta ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport.  :P

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2015, 03:35:52 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 07, 2015, 03:32:24 PM
It's striking how dominant London and Paris are. A lot of poor provinces around one mighty capital.

It is like if the US combined New York, Los Angeles, and Washington into one giant financial, cultural, and political juggernaut. Of course it is going to be a giant. Everybody with any ambition would move there.

Pol Pot had the right idea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on July 07, 2015, 03:54:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2015, 03:46:23 PM
Well, I guess I should've qualified my statements.  I would prefer my car to give me a sensation of speed at speeds that I can actually drive at without landing in jail.  That's where my 2008 turbo Jetta feels way more fun than any BMW or Mercedes I test-drove.  Audi was much closer, but Jetta was still more fun.  And it sure handles really well, though I guess at track speeds it wouldn't quite measure up.
A Volkswagen Jetta ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport.  :P
Horsepower, no.  Fun to drive, yes.  Old Jettas anyway, before they became Americanized.  My version of Jetta is pretty close to GLI/GTI.

Admiral Yi

It's a wonderful sign of how far we've come that a German can now feel comfortable calling a Jew his bitch.  :)

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2015, 03:59:34 PM

It's a wonderful sign of how far we've come that a German can now feel comfortable calling a Jew his bitch.  :)
:mad:

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on July 07, 2015, 03:58:19 PM
It's striking how dominant London and Paris are. A lot of poor provinces around one mighty capital.

It is like if the US combined New York, Los Angeles, and Washington into one giant financial, cultural, and political juggernaut. Of course it is going to be a giant. Everybody with any ambition would move there.

Pol Pot had the right idea.

I had a high school classmate whose Cambodian dad flew back home when Pol Pot came to power, to help build the new society.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2015, 03:59:02 PM
Horsepower, no.  Fun to drive, yes.  Old Jettas anyway, before they became Americanized.  My version of Jetta is pretty close to GLI/GTI.

All Jettas are old. I think they dropped that name over here over 20 years ago.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on July 07, 2015, 04:55:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2015, 03:59:02 PM

All Jettas are old. I think they dropped that name over here over 20 years ago.
I think it's called Bora over there.

Duque de Bragança

This is not exactly a new development, is it?  :frog:
Same goes for Northern Italy being well-off (except for Tyr).

PS: as for Pol Pot, Pétain talked about returning to the land but it was only a slogan

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2015, 03:51:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2015, 03:50:19 PM

How so?

Centralized governments going back years. It used to be a far bigger thing in England than in France. Then the French revolution rolled in and made everything about Paris.

Started under French kings, comparable or even before, Clovis made Paris his capital. The crusade against the Cathars was led by an Île-de-France nobleman, who had deserted the IVth crusade, the famous Simon de Montfort  :wub: and ensured control of SW France by the Capétiens instead of Aragon.
French as the sole language of the state? Villers-Cotterêt 1539, François I and so on...
The Revolution offered new possibilities, Napoleon made the most of it.

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 07, 2015, 02:44:07 PM
Congrats to you new home owners.

Talking about driving fast, anyone else here ever driving in Kuwait?

Quote from: Sir HockeyOnly drove passing through in my tank on my way to Baghdad.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014