News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I drive a square box, with a roof rack and with mud tires, at speed I barely hear the tires from the wind noise. :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2015, 01:49:33 PM
I actually like the noise, and other imperfections that indicate that you're going fast.  I find cars that feel like a couch even at high speeds to be very boring, sensation of speed is where the fun is.
Noise and imperfection often go hand-in-hand with poor handling - unless I guess you are talking about a super sports car which I've personally never driven, so I have nothing to relate to.

Iormlund

I actually like the noise, and other imperfections that indicate that you're going fast.  I find cars that feel like a couch even at high speeds to be very boring, sensation of speed is where the fun is.

Trust me, driving at over 200 kph in a densely populated country is anything but boring. You need to stay quite alert not to rear-end someone who didn't bother to check his mirrors before overtaking. Also missing a limit signal and then passing the cops at ludicrous speed (I've done that one). :blush:

derspiess

Everything going by so fast is enough of a sensation of speed for my tastes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Holy shit, have any of you guys tried to close on a mortgage since Dodd-Frank?  :bleeding:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 07, 2015, 02:29:04 PM
Holy shit, have any of you guys tried to close on a mortgage since Dodd-Frank?  :bleeding:
Yes, signed one 2 months ago. Of course, American laws don't apply here.  :P

Caliga

Yeah, just did.  The paperwork got delayed but it wasn't otherwise 'harder' than it was before. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Congrats to you new home owners.

Talking about driving fast, anyone else here ever driving in Kuwait?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Doing it right now, have to rush home to meet the appraiser after work. Wow so much more bullshit now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 07, 2015, 02:44:07 PM
It's a bit out of the way if you aren't US military...  ;)

MadImmortalMan

Put it this way---if you want to do a refi or buy a home, only use dead money that's been sitting by itself in a separate account of its own for at least three months.

The FBI didn't require this much information for a Top Secret clearance.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Zanza on July 07, 2015, 02:50:59 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 07, 2015, 02:44:07 PM
It's a bit out of the way if you aren't US military...  ;)

It is The Crazy. They ignore the 120kph speed limit, they ignore lanes, stop signs, any and all driving laws and safety common sense. It's funny to see camels on the back of a pickup truck. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

As long as you don't see them changing tires while driving you're okay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Never seen a camel change a tire anyway.

celedhring

Fun map:

Takeaways:

- Communism was not too good.
- Predictably, most capitals accumulate wealth compared to the rest of the nation.
- Even us southerners have a north-south divide going on.
- France only has 4 regions above the EU average, which surprised me. We have 7, for example.