News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

There was a shooting on Thursday night in a other suburb in the Montreal region. A notary & a lawyer was shot.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/lawyers-shot-in-terrebonne-have-died

10 years ago, I used to have lunch every week or so with the notary, Marie-Josée when we both worked in the same mall. She was pregnant.

2nd person I've met in school that was murdered.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Geeze.  Is that in a trend in your area, or a wild coincidence?

Grey Fox

Wild coincidence.

The other was ~10 years ago. Dude got assaulted by gang bangers over some girl.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

So in crazy hot weather like we are suffering lately (never below 30 degrees <_<) appetite tends to go.
I read this is since a big part of calorie needs is keeping body temperature up. Which kind of makes sense.
I do wonder though. Typical calorie needs are well publicized. I've never seen some solid numbers about how heat relates :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

It's really smoky today.  Two local wildfires are making visibility very bad and the air quality is terrible.  Not good conditions for the World Cup final.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2015, 06:04:44 PM
It's really smoky today.  Two local wildfires are making visibility very bad and the air quality is terrible.  Not good conditions for the World Cup final.

It was also really smoky at the Battle of Midway, and just like the sunk carrier count at that battle it is 4-1 USA. Seems good to me. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on July 05, 2015, 04:09:01 PM
So in crazy hot weather like we are suffering lately (never below 30 degrees <_<) appetite tends to go.
I read this is since a big part of calorie needs is keeping body temperature up. Which kind of makes sense.
I do wonder though. Typical calorie needs are well publicized. I've never seen some solid numbers about how heat relates :hmm:

Not sure if that work...the hottest parts of the U.S. are also the fattest. :hmm:

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 05, 2015, 07:27:27 PM

Not sure if that work...the hottest parts of the U.S. are also the fattest. :hmm:

People naturally respond to heat by not moving (activity generates body heat, and at high temperatures you are at risk of overheating).

At low temperatures you tend to both be more active and your body needs to spend calories to keep up your body temperature. For example, if you are doing vigorous endurance sport in the cold (say around freezing), you won't need a jacket because your body generates the heat through the activity, but if you take a break you are recommended to immediately put on a jacket. Not because you will freeze in a ~10 minute break, but because your body will start to burn calories to keep up your body temperature while you are resting, and those calories will be better used when you resume your activity.

Of course if you respond to both hot and cold temperatures by staying in climate controlled spaces and playing video games, there won't be much difference.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

I don't think it's local fires. Skies have been hazy / smoky since we came to Manitoba almost a week ago.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2015, 08:03:17 PM

I don't think it's local fires. Skies have been hazy / smoky since we came to Manitoba almost a week ago.

The sky here was perfectly clear yesterday and has been all summer.  There was a wildfire this morning on Burnaby Mountain which is about 20 minutes drive away.  The conditions on the prairies have no impact here.  There are about three major mountain ranges between here and there ;)

crazy canuck

Actually here is a good shot to show how isolated the smoke cloud was today.  Hopefully it is dissipated by tomorrow.  This is killing my lungs.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/satellite-view-shows-massive-plume-of-wildfire-smoke-over-metro-vancouver/

Josquius

Hotter weather but same sized steaks?
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

The Brain

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.