News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 07, 2015, 02:29:04 PM
Holy shit, have any of you guys tried to close on a mortgage since Dodd-Frank?  :bleeding:

Gosh, no I haven't.  I guess I just got lucky.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Looking at the map, you'd think the Axis won.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2015, 03:13:12 PM
- Even us southerners have a north-south divide going on.

I thought that was common knowledge, in Spain at least.

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 07, 2015, 03:05:30 PM
Never seen a camel change a tire anyway.

That's an offensive thing to call an Ayrab.  Probably.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Bukarest is pretty odd. Is there really such a massive concentration of wealth in one city in Romania?

The region south of Hamburg is not even at 90% of EU average? Wow.

The North-South divide in Italy is now stronger than the East-West divide in Germany. The trillions in transfer payments actually make a difference there.

Josquius

Fun map:

Takeaways:

- Communism was not too good.
- Predictably, most capitals accumulate wealth compared to the rest of the nation.
- France only has 4 regions above the EU average, which surprised me. We have 7, for example.

Surprised north Italy is so wealthy.
And that it stretches as far south as Rome, that place is a mess.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

In Swedish Lapland people live like royalty.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on July 07, 2015, 03:24:12 PM

I thought that was common knowledge, in Spain at least.

It is, I was just underlining it for our non-southern colleagues.

Zanza

It's striking how dominant London and Paris are. A lot of poor provinces around one mighty capital.

Josquius

QuoteIt's striking how dominant London and Paris are. A lot of poor provinces around one mighty capital.
And it is sickening how much of that is by design. :x

Quote from: The Brain on July 07, 2015, 03:30:14 PM
In Swedish Lapland people live like royalty.
Do you still have villages up there offering free land if you're willing to live there?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 07, 2015, 02:59:16 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 07, 2015, 02:50:59 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 07, 2015, 02:44:07 PM
Talking about driving fast, anyone else here ever driving in Kuwait?
It's a bit out of the way if you aren't US military...  ;)

It is The Crazy. They ignore the 120kph speed limit, they ignore lanes, stop signs, any and all driving laws and safety common sense. It's funny to see camels on the back of a pickup truck. :)

Ah, so like Italy except with Camels.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on July 07, 2015, 03:32:24 PM
It's striking how dominant London and Paris are. A lot of poor provinces around one mighty capital.

It is like if the US combined New York, Los Angeles, and Washington into one giant financial, cultural, and political juggernaut. Of course it is going to be a giant. Everybody with any ambition would move there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Sold my mountain bike! I hope. 2500DKK towards my touring bike budget.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2015, 03:35:52 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 07, 2015, 03:32:24 PM

It is like if the US combined New York, Los Angeles, and Washington into one giant financial, cultural, and political juggernaut. Of course it is going to be a giant. Everybody with any ambition would move there.
You would actually have to add Chicago to those three get the sheer relative weight of Paris or London.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on July 07, 2015, 02:26:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2015, 01:49:33 PM
I actually like the noise, and other imperfections that indicate that you're going fast.  I find cars that feel like a couch even at high speeds to be very boring, sensation of speed is where the fun is.

Trust me, driving at over 200 kph in a densely populated country is anything but boring. You need to stay quite alert not to rear-end someone who didn't bother to check his mirrors before overtaking. Also missing a limit signal and then passing the cops at ludicrous speed (I've done that one). :blush:
Well, I guess I should've qualified my statements.  I would prefer my car to give me a sensation of speed at speeds that I can actually drive at without landing in jail.  That's where my 2008 turbo Jetta feels way more fun than any BMW or Mercedes I test-drove.  Audi was much closer, but Jetta was still more fun.  And it sure handles really well, though I guess at track speeds it wouldn't quite measure up.