News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Uniforms really peaked for everybody in the Napoleonic Era.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Apparently the UNESCO is asking "WTF, Vienna" as the city plans to have some high rises built around the Ringstraße.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2015, 08:38:07 AM
Apparently the UNESCO is asking "WTF, Vienna" as the city plans to have some high rises built around the Ringstraße.

Man that is going to be some expensive real-estate right there. Condos for CEOs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

To be fair, there's some not so pretty parts of the Ringstraße (e.g. near Stadtpark where they did some crappy stuff in the 70s) where building something nicer would be ok, or at Schwedenplatz which is pretty ugly at this point.

But yeah, it's going to be super expensive no matter where or what they build on Ringstraße.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 30, 2015, 05:05:46 AM
Nephew, and I'm taking him to see all the shit that was stupid and shitty.

I'll take him to the Grand Canyon obviously, but what else?

I have a summer to spend.

FJ tour of Utah.  Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef.

Oh wait, summer...bring water.  :P

Or high Sierras...Yosemite, Giant Sequoia, Kings Canyon.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 30, 2015, 09:14:29 AM

Good. I even have a boat. An inflatable one. And a rack for the FJ that holds two bikes. This could be good.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

Last time we did Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, up Moki Dugway, Natural Arches, Canyon Lands, Arches and Moab area, then up to Ouray/San Juan mountains in CO. The FJ loved it, and even the teenage son enjoyed it. Next time I'll do Zion.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

A big controversy today- a major Japanese TV station showed a report with a Korean girl saying why she hated Japan...or at least that's what the subtitles said, she actually said something about liking Korea.
Internet reaction: OMFG evil right wing trying to fan the flames of hate by putting words into Korean's mouths.
My reaction: ....isn't that a bit silly? They're right wing, not stupid. No way they could have possibly thought they could get away with that. Logical answer- guy doing translation and guy lining up the footage to the subtitles weren't in proper communication.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Japanese right wingers come across to me as emminently stupid.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 30, 2015, 01:30:10 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 30, 2015, 09:14:29 AM

Good. I even have a boat. An inflatable one. And a rack for the FJ that holds two bikes. This could be good.

As Lusti mentioned, I forgot Zion as well!

For some cool, "off-road-ish" through-roads, one I took on my trip up was the Cottonwood Canyon road, which had some really cool geologic formations on it, and comes out in Kodachrome Basin, not too far from Bryce. 

There is also what looks like a really cool loop road in Capitol Reef (Cathedral Valley) that I wish I had done that involves some light river fording.

And Canyonlands is just a giant cornucopia of off roading opportunities.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2015, 07:58:52 AM

Guess the uniform in the Spanish American War were the same that saw service against the Boxers?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2015, 04:29:16 PM
A big controversy today- a major Japanese TV station showed a report with a Korean girl saying why she hated Japan...or at least that's what the subtitles said, she actually said something about liking Korea.
Internet reaction: OMFG evil right wing trying to fan the flames of hate by putting words into Korean's mouths.
My reaction: ....isn't that a bit silly? They're right wing, not stupid. No way they could have possibly thought they could get away with that. Logical answer- guy doing translation and guy lining up the footage to the subtitles weren't in proper communication.
It's also incredibly lazy, they could easily find a Korean girl willing to say that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

For the last one and a half weeks, the office above ours is undergoing renovations. So out of an 8.5 hour workday, about 6 are spent to what sounds like drills making holes into the floor right above your desk (oddly, it doesn't matter which of our offices you're in, it's the same in all of them).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Which marauding barbarian horde are you?
http://www.medievalists.net/2015/01/01/marauding-barbarian-horde/

QuoteThe Huns

The Huns were the most terrifying barbarians the Romans ever faced. They swept other tribes before them as they expanded westwards from 370 AD, forcing peoples like the Alans and Goths to flee into the heart of the Empire.

The most famous Hun was Attila. He inherited the throne with his brother Bleda, who mysteriously died while out on a hunting trip. The Romans were so terrified of the Huns that they paid Attila to leave them alone. But if the payments dried up, Attila would attack.

In 451 Attila invaded Gaul, but was defeated. Two years later he died - most probably from internal bleeding after too much wine and an overly vigorous night with his new Gothic bride. His sons quickly squabbled and lost his empire.
—Stephen Jay Gould