Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 18, 2015, 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2015, 10:30:48 PM
RI juggernaut CVS marches on

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/business/dealbook/cvs-agrees-to-buy-targets-pharmacy-business-for-1-9-billion.html?_r=0&referrer=

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :cry:

Target's pharmacies are wonderful.  CVS pharmacy customer service is a crime against humanity.

Ditto.  Sure, CVS has drive-thru service but Target beats them on every other count.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I found CVS pharmacy staff in DC to generally be helpful, but the checkout registers were invariably staffed by glassy eyed imbeciles.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

I just paid $5 for a cup of coffee.  Won't make that mistake again.  I mean it was good but not $5 good. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2015, 02:54:56 PM
I just paid $5 for a cup of coffee.  Won't make that mistake again.  I mean it was good but not $5 good.

Why did they charge $5 for it?  Was it a rare bean or something?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Fair trade beans grown by non-exploited workers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Each worker responsible for only one bean.

lustindarkness

Shade grown coffee, thats the new thing. lol
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on June 18, 2015, 02:57:52 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2015, 02:54:56 PM

Why did they charge $5 for it?  Was it a rare bean or something?

There's a brewery over on the other side of the river in Covington, KY that opened this year.  They recently started serving coffee and opening earlier, I guess trying to be a coffee shop as well as a tap room.  They've been promoting the hell out of the coffee thing and as a consumer I want to do what I can to support them.  So after lunch I decided to go try some of their cold brewed coffee. 

Don't know if I just assumed it was going to be $2 or $3 for a 12 oz. serving or if someone had told me, but I was definitely not expecting five bucks and I didn't see the price posted anywhere.  The cool thing about it is they served it on Nitro, so it looked like a Guinness draft when they poured it.  But at five bucks I can't see them selling much of it.  I might as well have bought a pint of their coffee-infused tropical stout.

Savonarola

In Colombia they sell coffee beans with an appellation d'origine contrôlée to gullible gringos.  You can even buy reserve and grand reserve coffee beans.

Here's the coffee from near the region I was working in:

http://www.juanvaldezcafestore.com/product/sierra-nevada-coffee-whole-bean-500-gr17-oz

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2015, 03:10:42 PM
There's a brewery over on the other side of the river in Covington, KY that opened this year.  They recently started serving coffee and opening earlier, I guess trying to be a coffee shop as well as a tap room.  They've been promoting the hell out of the coffee thing and as a consumer I want to do what I can to support them.  So after lunch I decided to go try some of their cold brewed coffee. 

Don't know if I just assumed it was going to be $2 or $3 for a 12 oz. serving or if someone had told me, but I was definitely not expecting five bucks and I didn't see the price posted anywhere.  The cool thing about it is they served it on Nitro, so it looked like a Guinness draft when they poured it.  But at five bucks I can't see them selling much of it.  I might as well have bought a pint of their coffee-infused tropical stout.

Did the bubbles rise and fall like in a Guinness?  That would make for a cool video.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2015, 03:11:16 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 18, 2015, 03:03:20 PM
Shade grown coffee, thats the new thing. lol

Even better - coffee that has been shat.  :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2014/sep/19/civet-cat-coffee-worlds-most-expensive-brew-made-sustainably-kopi-luwak

Friends tried that in Indonesia, and they said it was the best coffee they'd ever had. Even the better Viennese roasts don't come close.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

anyone got any idea how to record an ip camera online?
Some sort of special web hosting? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

Oh yeah, then there's that. LOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom