News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

What's wrong with Carolina BBQ?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:09:02 PM

Tomato based sauce >>>>> Vinegar based sauce
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 12:01:34 PM
Or Bank of America with North Carolina. It is as North Carolinian as non-horrible Barbecue.

BoA got taken over by some NC based super regional but they kept the name.  1st National??  I think I used to have an account with them in DC.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 12:11:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:09:02 PM

Tomato based sauce >>>>> Vinegar based sauce

Probably.  But Carolina BBQ still tastes good.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

But its different from my cultural expectations and thus wrong and terrible.

Ideologue

It's mustard BBQ around here. Is NC different?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Now you guys got me thinking about BBQ, brisket, burnt ends, bark, etc.  And I was planning on eating something sensible for lunch.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:18:16 PM
Now you guys got me thinking about BBQ, brisket, burnt ends, bark, etc.  And I was planning on eating something sensible for lunch.

I've never seen a menu in the US with "burnt ends" on it.  First time I'd heard it was when Gups discussed his London BBQ joint. 

Is this a regional item or have I just managed to miss out?

derspiess

Should be on the menu or mentioned somewhere if you're at a KC-style BBQ joint.

derspiess

One pet peeve that has been an increasing problem with local BBQ places, food trucks, etc. is when they don't advertise that they put cole slaw on a pulled pork BBQ sandwich and just assume you like it that way.  Bleh.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2015, 12:17:37 PM
It's mustard BBQ around here. Is NC different?

My wife is from Wilmington and her father's family is always making us eat their regional delicacy and it is pork with vinegar sauce called BBQ :angry:

There may be variations I concede -_-

derspiess

My favorite place uses a "vinegar mop" on the meat when it's cooking but serves it with a tomato-based sauce.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:46:58 PM
One pet peeve that has been an increasing problem with local BBQ places, food trucks, etc. is when they don't advertise that they put cole slaw on a pulled pork BBQ sandwich and just assume you like it that way.  Bleh.

Cole slaw IN the sandwich?

derspiess

It's rampant, and I don't always have my guard up :(