And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

It looks silly, but there is a logic behind the madness to some extent.  Typically, political policies are not randomly assigned to parties, parties would develop educational policies using the same ideology they develop a lot of other policies.  If you find Republican policies repugnant for the most part, it's a safe assumption that you probably wouldn't like their education plan if you knew all the details.  The real plan, not the randomly assigned plan by researchers.

But you don't have time to make sure that every judgment call you make is based on 100% of knowable information, you have to take shortcuts.  Obviously decisions made with mental shortcuts aren't going to be as good as fully-considered decisions, but usually a quick decision is better than long indecision.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2015, 09:50:55 AM
parties would develop educational policies using the same ideology they develop a lot of other policies.

A carefully constructed ideology they call what-our-donors-wantism
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

It looks silly, but there is a logic behind the madness to some extent.  Typically, political policies are not randomly assigned to parties, parties would develop educational policies using the same ideology they develop a lot of other policies.  If you find Republican policies repugnant for the most part, it's a safe assumption that you probably wouldn't like their education plan if you knew all the details.  The real plan, not the randomly assigned plan by researchers.

But you don't have time to make sure that every judgment call you make is based on 100% of knowable information, you have to take shortcuts.  Obviously decisions made with mental shortcuts aren't going to be as good as fully-considered decisions, but usually a quick decision is better than long indecision.

I didn't get the impression from the link that this survey was timed.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2015, 10:00:38 AM

I didn't get the impression from the link that this survey was timed.
It probably wasn't, but the inclination doesn't change.  I'm willing to spend more time thinking about predictive modeling competitions than about policies I have epsilon power to change. 

And, in any case, even if you take in all the information provided by researchers carefully, and then make your judgment, you're still not making a fully informed decision.  Making informed decision involves doing your own research, and not taking talking points at face value.

DGuller

One more thing:  for all we know, the independents didn't make a more considered decision.  They may have just been split 50/50 between Democrat-leaners and Republican-leaners, and the distribution within the two leaner groups could've still been pretty lopsided.

Admiral Yi

Very strange use of the phrase talking points in this context.

Three dead sparrows in the parking lot.  A sparrow massacree.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2015, 10:10:05 AM
One more thing:  for all we know, the independents didn't make a more considered decision.  They may have just been split 50/50 between Democrat-leaners and Republican-leaners, and the distribution within the two leaner groups could've still been pretty lopsided.

Don't worry DGuller. The only thing I took from it was 'well yeah that is why perfectly acceptable policies become HITLER once the other guys get into office'. I never would for a second think Independents are better than you. Perish the thought.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

There are so many problems with this degree of polarization. Lots of issues shouldn't have a strict partisan divide, but they get one just because leaders belong to a party (foreign policy for example).  It breeds corruption: when one side is convinced the other is always corrupt, and the other side is blind to instances of its own corruption--there is little incentive to avoid actual corruption. It makes compromise difficult and radicalizes trivial issues.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Gmail is blowing up.

Guesses on who is responsible?  I vote Chinks.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2015, 02:10:21 PM
Gmail is blowing up.

Guesses on who is responsible?  I vote Chinks.

I vote its own users trying to update all at once after being curious because twitter says it's down.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Canada: keep your wildfire smoke to yourself. Or else.

Regards,

Ed Anger
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Shouldn't you be re-enacting the invasion of Normandy about now?

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2015, 06:42:55 PM
Shouldn't you be re-enacting the invasion of Normandy about now?

Soon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Today I watched five men base jump off this bridge. Which apparently happens daily.

I also saw Evel Knievel's jump site. It looked scary as hell. I mean I didn't even want to drive over that bridge.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers