News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Razgovory

Or maybe you should have wrote his name?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2015, 03:40:46 AM

Ok, I can see 3 ways you may have miscommunicated here.
1- This statement should say "shouldn't" and you didn't want me to type the name out.
2- The stupid name *does* have a y in it.
3- You thought Leslie was a stupid name when Famous and Ryder were available.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

I'm going to climb Mount Ranier outside Seattle--summit day is scheduled for June 30--a Tuesday.

After that, I'm not sure what to do. I want to be back home for the 4th of July, which leaves me 2 or 3 days to do something somewhere in area. Any ideas?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

See when the hydroplane races are.

Tonitrus

Seafair Hydro weekend is not until the end of July.  If you were staying for the 4th, Seattle's celebration is usually pretty cool.

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 07, 2015, 06:28:08 PM
I'm going to climb Mount Ranier outside Seattle--summit day is scheduled for June 30--a Tuesday.

After that, I'm not sure what to do. I want to be back home for the 4th of July, which leaves me 2 or 3 days to do something somewhere in area. Any ideas?

Depends on what your interests are (beyond hiking)?

For city stuff, downtown Seattle is worth checking out...Pike Place Market, Space Needle area, etc.

If it is more outdoors/hiking (if somehow Rainier doesn't poop you out) I can throw a ton of recommendations there as well.

For example, Mount St Helens to the rim of the crater would be pretty cool, and is supposed to be a non-technical climb.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 07, 2015, 01:29:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2015, 03:40:46 AM

Ok, I can see 3 ways you may have miscommunicated here.
1- This statement should say "shouldn't" and you didn't want me to type the name out.
2- The stupid name *does* have a y in it.
3- You thought Leslie was a stupid name when Famous and Ryder were available.

This is what I get for posting at 3 in the morning.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 07, 2015, 07:54:31 PM

If it is more outdoors/hiking (if somehow Rainier doesn't poop you out) I can throw a ton of recommendations there as well.

For example, Mount St Helens to the rim of the crater would be pretty cool, and is supposed to be a non-technical climb.

Mount Saint Helens = awesome idea. I think that is the winner...except they apparently limit climbs to 100 permitted climbers a day, and the permits are sold out while I will be there.  :( Hopefully one will open up though.

Not sure how good an idea it is to go alone. Don't know if we have languishites in the area, but if anyone else wants to do it, let me know.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

If I thought I could get leave during that time, I'd totally be down.

There are also some really good, less dramatic hikes in the Olympic mountains...The Brothers is a popular one (don't try to pet the mountain goats...they can kill).  http://www.summitpost.org/the-brothers/517714

Or check out some of the hikes along the coast (Shi-Shi beach, for example).  No elevation gain, but still awesome.

Check out this site for other leads...

www.wta.org

Tonitrus

It's a little bit more out of the way, but Mount Adams also has a non-technical route.

But for that far out (unless you don't care about scenery and more about bagging summits), for scenic vistas, I'd recommend the Columbia river gorge, or up to Mount Baker...the views from the end of the highway at Artist's Point are simply amazing.  I don't think Baker is non-technical, but there is an abundance of hiking around there as well.

Tonitrus

I posted it here before, and I dunno if you'd be able to explore it while up there...but this is one of the things at the top of Rainier.  :)

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/science/under-rainierrsquos-crater-a-natural-laboratory-like-no-other/

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2015, 08:52:14 PM
One of the guys who assaulted my brother a few months ago got 10 years.
Good to hear.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

An SPD politician from Berlin is mocking the G7 summit in Elmau, because it's in Bavaria and there's beer, sausage and lederhosen. She said it reminds her more of Disneyland.

That's how you undo all efforts to change the stereotypes about Germany. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.