News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

So I was at this fishing resort on the Salmon River waiting to check in because this large group of people were arguing with the desk clerk. They were upset because in their opinion, the hotel's attempts to comfortably sleep the nine people they brought with them in the two rooms the travelers booked were inadequate. Also, they were unkempt and acting about as whitetrashy as you can imagine. In the pit of my gut I had a horrible feeling I knew what state these people were from.

After I finally got checked in and went out to the car for my bag, I saw them unloading their run-down minivan that was loaded down with large piles of junk. Ohio plates. I knew it.

:Embarrass:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Look at it this way- they choose to still live there. You are a Nevadan now.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

After much too long, returning to the green and pleasant lands of Japan. The beautiful river city was wonderful; it was nice to see the old folks. I'll be bringing home a picture of one of our illustrious ancestors who rode with Forrest for the benefit of my child.

The food of Memphis sits heavily upon you; I find myself with less energy, and my clothes more snugly fitting than before I came. Although I hold nothing but ill feeling for it, Japan's food almost assuredly is better for the humors.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Japanese food is awesome
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

What kind of sick fuck doesn't like Japanese food?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lettow77

Well, raw food is objectionable; the introduction of fire to human culinary pursuit was a massive advance in civilization, and it's late in the game to be straggling.

Japan is too free and lose with pickling; it falls pray to the doctrine of "plating" and the merry myth that aesthetics can somehow influence deliciousness. Fish's semen, raw horse, and roots long since abandoned by civilized countries as animal fodder are readily consumed. To crack open an egg (again, without efforts to apply heat to it) and pour it over something is generally seen to be improving the subject.  Rice, unadorned, is held to be a delicious and desirable food; as indeed the taste of blandness can be seen as superior to the grotesque.

Common cultural concensus is that broken down fish are the best soup stock; that seaweed is a desirable adornment, and that mayonnaise or green onion (the onion's hardluck cousin) could be seen to improve anything.

It is a country that, without embarassment or sense of self, assures you that Ramen is the height of epicurian attainment, or that the only garnish needed for buckwheat noodles is ice cubes.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tonitrus

On this, I must stand allied with Lettow.  There are a couple good Japanese dishes, but most of it is not so good.  :sleep:

But food is also one of those things on which taste can vary wildly.  I would not begrudge anyone who loves it.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2015, 12:53:16 AM
What kind of sick fuck doesn't like Japanese food?

Some of it's okay.  Like the steak.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I like the juggling and the shrimp tossing.

Brazen

Quote from: Zanza on June 03, 2015, 02:15:17 PM
In totally unrelated news, Siemens got the biggest order in its 160 year history today. For 3 gas power plants in Egypt.
Thanks! I needed a headline energy story for my newsletter :thumbsup:

MadImmortalMan

Personally, I'm a big fan of pickles of most types. But I can do without the fish stock most of the time. Truly, the Vietnamese are masters of the broth.

Josquius

The food is one of the best parts of living in Japan.
Though the expense of real pizza and the lack of chips and pie annoys.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Astound your friends and confound your enemies with the New Age Bullshit Generator!

http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Eh, hasn't that nonsense been dead for about 10 years?

MadImmortalMan

One of my former employees, turned brewer, is currently in DC talking to Congress about the Small Brew Act (HR 494). So proud. He was just a kid.  :beer: