News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2015, 11:54:05 AM
South Korean troops used to skin VC troops they killed in Vietnam.

Woah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Yi: I don't know, honestly.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Was the enemy soldier killed by a bomb she made? Sometimes its good to see the fruits of your labor.

Seriously though WWII was such a fucked up time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2015, 11:33:05 AM
I've always assumed bone collecting was standard as well, but now when I actually think about it, i can't come up with any concrete examples apart from GIs in the Pacific theater.

Although I suppose there is a distant precedent in various nomadic tribes and their mountains of skulls.

Scalping in North America, head-hunting in Iron age Europe.  I suppose slave taking is a more economic form.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2015, 11:47:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2015, 11:41:20 AM
I imagine that racial/cultural differences may also have played a role there. In Europe the U.S. fought against Germans who they were somewhat familiar with - many German immigrants to America, and the cultures at the end of the day weren't too alien from one another.

Unlike the Japanese who presented a completely different and alien culture and way of thinking.

Sure, but Germans were fighting against subhumans.  Did they collect bones?

Did other allies in the Pacific collect bones?

Concentration camp officials used to collect human oddities - like interesting tattoos skinned from prisoners.

Not sure if frontline fighters on the Eastern front collected bones or not. Maybe they were simply too common in that context to bother with.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 12:00:56 PM

Thank you for your analysis.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2015, 12:32:07 PM

Well it gets romanticized sometimes over here. People forget how insane our country was. And logically so.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 12:33:48 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2015, 12:32:07 PM

Well it gets romanticized sometimes over here. People forget how insane our country was. And logically so.

Indeed.  We'd likely win the prize for having the most humane internment camps.

derspiess

People forgot how insane the fighting was in the Pacific theater.  Keeping bones from 'Jap' soldiers pales in comparison to some of the shit they pulled.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2015, 12:45:55 PM

People forgot how insane the fighting was in the Pacific theater.  Keeping bones from 'Jap' soldiers pales in comparison to some of the shit they pulled.

Yeah.  Makes it somewhat understandable, but definitely doesn't make it right.

We often forget our human capacity for becoming really fucked up in extreme/desperate circumstances.

Valmy

Keeping bones from 'Jap' soldiers pales in comparison to some of the shit they pulled.

We would have had to go down the rabbit hole a great deal farther to outdo the Japanese sure.

But keeping bones as trophies is not the extent of it. But it was entirely understandable, we are human beings no demi-Gods. I just hear people get all bent out of shape about fire bombing cities, dropping the atomic bombs, widespread looting and murdering prisoners and civilians and I just wish they would understand that for this period we were completely out of our minds.

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 22, 2015, 12:47:26 PM
Yeah.  Makes it somewhat understandable, but definitely doesn't make it right.

In the sense that we shouldn't consider it a good thing, yeah.  Not something to lose sleep over, though.  Unless maybe you want to go through the entire catalog of Japanese war crimes for context.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 12:50:18 PM
But keeping bones as trophies is not the extent of it. But it was entirely understandable, we are human beings no demi-Gods. I just hear people get all bent out of shape about fire bombing cities, dropping the atomic bombs, widespread looting and murdering prisoners and civilians and I just wish they would understand that for this period we were completely out of our minds.

I think that's overstating it a bit, but I mostly agree with the point you're making.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 12:50:18 PM
Keeping bones from 'Jap' soldiers pales in comparison to some of the shit they pulled.

We would have had to go down the rabbit hole a great deal farther to outdo the Japanese sure.

For one, almost making shashimi out of your future President.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I googled for the "Hunting Licenses" mentioned in the Cracked article and got more than I bargained for.  :hmm:

I couldn't find a German/Jerry/Kraut equivalent.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.