News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, Qwertee has this motif today. For 12.50 including shipping I couldn't resist. I'm weak. :nerd:  :blush:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2015, 01:43:44 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 21, 2015, 08:20:15 PM
One of the Duggar brood is a perv. Him and Lena Dunham need to compare notes on sibling molesting.

Only one of them has stated what they did was wrong.

At the risk of learning the answer, which was it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2015, 04:12:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2015, 01:43:44 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 21, 2015, 08:20:15 PM
One of the Duggar brood is a perv. Him and Lena Dunham need to compare notes on sibling molesting.

Only one of them has stated what they did was wrong.

At the risk of learning the answer, which was it?

Duggar. As far as I know Lena is still indignant that anyone thought what she did was creepy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on May 22, 2015, 01:34:21 AM
Finally made it to Friday.
The week after a 4 day weekend= tough

So fucking much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

This is old news, but I'd never heard it before, and it is very wierd: George Bush Sr. came very close to being made into a delicacy in WW2:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/1445167/George-Bushs-comrades-eaten-by-their-Japanese-PoW-guards.html

:yuk:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Oh yeah, that was part of a Cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/article_20117_the-5-creepiest-stories-in-history-war.html

#5. The Nazi Baby Factories
#4. The Angel Makers of Nagyrev
#3. American Soldiers Collected Human Body Parts as Trophies
#2. Irma Grese, the Hyena of Auschwitz
#1. The Chichi-jima Incident

#4 is almost funny, in how a Hungarian village for a while decided to solve all their squabbles with arsenic. It's like a dark comedy.

And #2 sounds like the inspiration for Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS:

QuoteOn the outside, Irma Grese was a teenage Aryan dream -- pretty by Nazi standards, dedicated, beefy. On the inside, Irma Grese was a time bomb waiting for a chance to explode. Picture this ...
[pic]
... but with a bejeweled whip, pistol and a set of half-starved dogs who would attack on her command. Imagine this woman shooting people on a whim, using her belt to whip prisoners, then kicking them when they were down. And getting off on it the whole time.

Irma Grese loved her job like a white woman loves Oprah. She got off on torturing people, like when she used her whip to slash female prisoners' breasts. Then when the cuts became infected and required surgery -- without anesthesia, we should mention -- she watched the procedure in the operating room, enjoying orgasms so intense they "made saliva run down from the corner of her mouth."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

I think Ilsa's inspiration was another similar woman at another camp.

I am a little surprised by what they said about the Lebensborns. I thought they literally just were homes for unwed mothers to make sure Aryan babies were well taken care of. I didn't know that they were doing abductions and that weird stuff...seems a bit counter-productive to their intention. You didn't need to be in one of those to be indoctrinated into Nazism.

Pretty sure Soldiers have always collected bones as trophies. There were certainly lots of pictures with bones taken by American Soldiers from WW1.

You are right about the Hungarian Village. In fact I am shocked there is not an artsy French comedy about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I've always assumed bone collecting was standard as well, but now when I actually think about it, i can't come up with any concrete examples apart from GIs in the Pacific theater.

Although I suppose there is a distant precedent in various nomadic tribes and their mountains of skulls.

Valmy

Stalin kept Hitler's skull on his desk didn't he? Eh actually I don't know if that is true but if it isn't I wish it was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 11:39:04 AM
Stalin kept Hitler's skull on his desk didn't he? Eh actually I don't know if that is true but if it isn't I wish it was.

Different than grunts holding on to bones.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2015, 11:33:05 AM
I've always assumed bone collecting was standard as well, but now when I actually think about it, i can't come up with any concrete examples apart from GIs in the Pacific theater.

Although I suppose there is a distant precedent in various nomadic tribes and their mountains of skulls.

I imagine that racial/cultural differences may also have played a role there. In Europe the U.S. fought against Germans who they were somewhat familiar with - many German immigrants to America, and the cultures at the end of the day weren't too alien from one another.

Unlike the Japanese who presented a completely different and alien culture and way of thinking.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2015, 11:41:20 AM
I imagine that racial/cultural differences may also have played a role there. In Europe the U.S. fought against Germans who they were somewhat familiar with - many German immigrants to America, and the cultures at the end of the day weren't too alien from one another.

Unlike the Japanese who presented a completely different and alien culture and way of thinking.

Sure, but Germans were fighting against subhumans.  Did they collect bones?

Did other allies in the Pacific collect bones?

derspiess

South Korean troops used to skin VC troops they killed in Vietnam.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall