Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Liep on May 04, 2015, 01:55:33 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 03, 2015, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 03, 2015, 12:20:23 PM
German train drivers will strike for six days starting on Tuesday. I wonder if this is the time to replace them all with computers. If we can make cars drive by themselves, that should be even simpler with trains.
Constant issue with Transport for London. So far here, at least, I don't think they can be replaced (yet)
Seems to be a much higher one time investment for a rather poor return. And I don't know many governments who invest heavily in rail infrastructure if they don't have to.
As cars can already "see" in front of them with a variety of sensors (radar, lidar, infrared, stereo-cameras etc.) the technology is a commodity. This allows cars to read traffic signs (i.e. it should be possible to read signals next to the train track), allows them to identify other traffic (cars, pedestrians, bicyclist) that is much more complex than that encountered on train tracks. The technology works at the speeds train run (maybe not at the very highest speeds). All those assistance systems cost at most several thousand Euro per car. The expensive part would be the development of the system for trains and then putting it into the trains.
The return would be that you wouldn't need thousands of train drivers anymore. That should easily pay for the introduction of the systems. I guess you can't fire them anyway, so maybe the cost savings isn't that great, but you could slowly phase it in and then reduce the number of train drivers slowly with natural fluctuation.

Zanza

QuoteNot well paid? How much is well paid for you?
Right? That's high even here :blink:
Train drivers in the UK make considerably more at 35.000-60.000 GBP per year according to this:
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/TrainDriver.aspx

Liep

Quote from: Zanza on May 04, 2015, 04:34:56 AM
QuoteNot well paid? How much is well paid for you?
Right? That's high even here :blink:
Train drivers in the UK make considerably more at 35.000-60.000 GBP per year according to this:
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/TrainDriver.aspx

Probably only instructors who earn 60.000 GBP per year, at least it is here and we have about the same starting wage for a qualified driver at 35.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Zanza on May 04, 2015, 04:31:28 AM
As cars can already "see" in front of them with a variety of sensors (radar, lidar, infrared, stereo-cameras etc.) the technology is a commodity. This allows cars to read traffic signs (i.e. it should be possible to read signals next to the train track), allows them to identify other traffic (cars, pedestrians, bicyclist) that is much more complex than that encountered on train tracks. The technology works at the speeds train run (maybe not at the very highest speeds). All those assistance systems cost at most several thousand Euro per car. The expensive part would be the development of the system for trains and then putting it into the trains.
The return would be that you wouldn't need thousands of train drivers anymore. That should easily pay for the introduction of the systems. I guess you can't fire them anyway, so maybe the cost savings isn't that great, but you could slowly phase it in and then reduce the number of train drivers slowly with natural fluctuation.

I think the system is already developed, it's just not widely used outside of metro settings. They're testing automatic (GPS) braking for some of our trains and the biggest problem seems to be weather impact. It's pretty easy to sense when the track is slippery for a driver, but apparently not so much for a computer. But when they've found a way to figure that out it's pretty much ready to drive itself
They're not going to though, because it'd cost too much money to change and secure the infrastructure and trains to accommodate for not having actual eyes out there.

Last estimate here was 40 years to earn back the investment through lowered wage costs, and as it really only delivers in less HR hassle (and we've only striked for 4 hours in the last 8 or so years) and provides less flexibility on board the trains in case of emergencies it didn't seem like such a good idea.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadImmortalMan

You know what's not a thing anymore? Public drinking fountains. When exactly did they stop installing those?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

There's several around the tourist areas of Vienna.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Boy, do we ever need Seedy to get back here & stir shit up.  Public transit worker salaries & public drinking fountains?   :boring:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on May 03, 2015, 10:18:39 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 03, 2015, 01:33:31 PM
Don't forget cost of living too. Germany is more expensive than the US.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Germany

No, that doesn't seem to be true.

I'm skeptical--Germany definitely seems more expensive. Maybe the very recent strengthening of the dollar skews things, and me living in Georgia almost certainly does. However, take the restaurant category. It seems suspicious that the directly comparable categories (coke, water, and mcdonalds) all show Germany to be more expensive while all the other categories are less directly comparable but show the opposite effect.

Also, many of the prices seem much too high for the US--but that might be bias that I'm living in Atlanta.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Maybe it's accounted for by the fact that every square meter of Germany counts as city center. :P

I'm surprised too.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2015, 02:47:56 PM
You know what's not a thing anymore? Public drinking fountains. When exactly did they stop installing those?

White people lost interest in water fountains once they couldn't exclude black people from them.

(doing my best to channel CdM for derspeiss)

More seriously, I bet it has something to do with bottled water being sold everywhere. I've heard of legal action being taken to mandate water fountains from stadiums that planned to go without them (presumably because people had access to buy $5 water or whatever, making them unnecessary for public health).

Also, and this would have seemed like crazy talk to me as a kid, I sometimes worry about how hygenic they are. I use them from time to time, but prefer to drink bottled water. That really seems silly considering I grew up drinking from them, but it is what it is.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Habbaku

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2015, 06:44:07 PM
Also, and this would have seemed like crazy talk to me as a kid, I sometimes worry about how hygenic they are. I use them from time to time, but prefer to drink bottled water. That really seems silly considering I grew up drinking from them, but it is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYdt4UikO1o
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2015, 06:36:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 03, 2015, 10:18:39 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 03, 2015, 01:33:31 PM
Don't forget cost of living too. Germany is more expensive than the US.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Germany

No, that doesn't seem to be true.

I'm skeptical--Germany definitely seems more expensive. Maybe the very recent strengthening of the dollar skews things, and me living in Georgia almost certainly does. However, take the restaurant category. It seems suspicious that the directly comparable categories (coke, water, and mcdonalds) all show Germany to be more expensive while all the other categories are less directly comparable but show the opposite effect.

Also, many of the prices seem much too high for the US--but that might be bias that I'm living in Atlanta.

It seems the cost of rent and groceries are what really push the price down.  Not something a person who is just visiting would notice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2015, 07:17:18 PM
It seems the cost of rent and groceries are what really push the price down.  Not something a person who is just visiting would notice.

Well if Europe does QE they might catch up on the rent prices.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2015, 07:33:20 PM
Well if Europe does QE they might catch up on the rent prices.

Shouldn't impact the price in dollars.

alfred russel

It seems odd to me that rent costs are higher in the US than in Germany considering Germany has 80m people and is in such dire need of lebensraum. But it could be a function of relatively lower wages in Germany preventing bidding up real estate, or again apples may not be compared to apples.