Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 10:43:48 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2015, 10:23:49 AM
I'm betting there'll be many a Khaleesi, Arya, Sansa, or Daenerys in a few years.

Martin has a section at his website where he puts pics of kids (and pets) named after his characters.  ;)

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/for-fans/from-fans/from-fans-archive/

A couple of friends of mine named their newborn Bran back in january.

Do devotees of this type of literature tend to procreate a lot?

You'd be amazed. And girls can be nerds too. And these particular ones have transcended their niche and become mainstream.

Valmy

Brandon is a perfectly fine name.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2015, 10:46:02 AM
You'd be amazed. And girls can be nerds too. And these particular ones have transcended their niche and become mainstream.

Spicey gets all his tropes from the 80s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

It's clear that Twilight fans breed like rabbits.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2015, 10:47:22 AM

Spicey gets all his tropes from the 80s.

Only his tropes!  :P

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2015, 10:47:54 AM

It's clear that Twilight fans breed like rabbits.

I know, sadly.  Wasn't talking about them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Keep telling yourself that.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 11:14:14 AM
I know, sadly.  Wasn't talking about them.

It was a segueway.  :mad:

Syt

Friends of friends at home had the last name Düwel, which is Low German for Devil. Had their kid been a son, he would have been named Damian. Alas, they had a girl and named her Midajah after Scott Steiner's valet in WCW (NOT kidding):

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

A Five Guys is opening kinda close, worth it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 11:16:08 AM

Keep telling yourself that.

Go to a nerd event nowadays and you'll find a sizeable number of girls nerding it up as well.

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 11:21:47 AM

Reminds me I still haven't tried that Dunkin' Donuts; there's always a long line. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2015, 11:19:11 AM

Friends of friends at home had the last name Düwel, which is Low German for Devil. Had their kid been a son, he would have been named Damian. Alas, they had a girl and named her Midajah after Scott Steiner's valet in WCW (NOT kidding):

Duvel is a fine beer.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 11:21:47 AM

Definitely.  I'd avoid paying attention to the hype, though, and just enjoy it for what it is: a really tasty, unhealthy burger with tasty, unhealthy fries.

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2015, 11:26:41 AM
Go to a nerd event nowadays and you'll find a sizeable number of girls nerding it up as well.

I'll take your word for it.  I assume these girls are paid somehow?  Or are they sizable girls?  :P