News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

BB King had a heart attack and is now confined to his home getting hospice care.

I saw a show on his previous tour and he was just not the same. Vamped for ten minutes at a time, only finished half the setlist, rambled on in weird conversations with audience members. His nephew is running the band I think.

But he was forced to cancel the remainder of a tour last October when he fell ill during a show, and was later diagnosed with dehydration and exhaustion.

I really suspect his family is pushing him to tour so they can cash in more.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

2,500 yuros a month is by my calculation 33,600 a year in Real Money.  Y3,400 is R45,696.

Not really mind blowing money.  Rather on the meager side on that low end.

Josquius

Don't forget cost of living too. Germany is more expensive than the US.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2015, 01:20:54 PM
2,500 yuros a month is by my calculation 33,600 a year in Real Money.  Y3,400 is R45,696.

Actually, yeah, I wasn't thinking gross even though it specifically said gross.  That's like what I make, which is bupkiss.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on May 03, 2015, 12:50:24 PM
Not well paid? How much is well paid for you?
The average income of full-time employees in Germany is about 42.000 Euro/year or 3.500 Euro/month, which corresponds to about 2.000 Euro net. Median net income is about 1.750 Euro. So their income is about average/median, which seems fine to me.

Zanza

Quote from: Ideologue on May 03, 2015, 12:53:37 PM
Of course, Zanza's simply stealth bragging with that little aside.
Nah, I was just trying to put in relation for those of you not aware of wage levels in Germany.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2015, 01:20:54 PM

Well, the euro to dollar conversion isn't very favourable right now.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on May 03, 2015, 01:35:20 PM
Actually, yeah, I wasn't thinking gross even though it specifically said gross.  That's like what I make, which is bupkiss.

What you make is closer to doodley squat than bupkiss.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on May 03, 2015, 12:44:02 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2015, 12:27:44 PM
Maybe they're pissed off barbers are making so much fucking money now.
:P

Train drivers apparently make between 2500 and 3400 Euro gross a month plus "several hundred" depending on various factors. Not paid well, but also not terrible. Most likely better than most barbers. And considerably more than subway or bus drivers.

How do they survive on that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2015, 02:53:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 03, 2015, 01:35:20 PM

What you make is closer to doodley squat than bupkiss.
:hug:
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on May 03, 2015, 12:20:23 PM
German train drivers will strike for six days starting on Tuesday. I wonder if this is the time to replace them all with computers. If we can make cars drive by themselves, that should be even simpler with trains.
Constant issue with Transport for London. So far here, at least, I don't think they can be replaced (yet).

QuoteNot well paid? How much is well paid for you?
Right? That's high even here :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 03, 2015, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 03, 2015, 12:20:23 PM
German train drivers will strike for six days starting on Tuesday. I wonder if this is the time to replace them all with computers. If we can make cars drive by themselves, that should be even simpler with trains.
Constant issue with Transport for London. So far here, at least, I don't think they can be replaced (yet)
Seems to be a much higher one time investment for a rather poor return. And I don't know many governments who invest heavily in rail infrastructure if they don't have to.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk