Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2015, 04:51:27 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2015, 04:46:48 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2015, 02:06:25 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 29, 2015, 12:47:05 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2015, 07:53:55 AM
Our Canadian colleagues were shocked that job applications over here come with a photo of the applicant.
That's a UK/Euro difference too. My initial thought is that it makes discrimination really easy.

I think it's also a huge no no in France as well.

Used to be pretty common in Spain but I'm seeing it less and less.

IIRC at some point in France, to prevent discrimination against minorities, you couldn't even put your name, and you were assigned some sort of code when in a big recruitment process. Or at least I read something about it, somewhere. Then, in order to keep banlieu kids out, employers would turn to discriminate by postal code.

Isn't it a bit pointless, though? You'll have to interview eventually; they can discriminate then.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2015, 04:54:12 PMMare de déu.

You know there's good stuff in the Balkans.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2015, 04:56:11 PM
Our Canadian colleagues were shocked that job applications over here come with a photo of the applicant.
That's a UK/Euro difference too. My initial thought is that it makes discrimination really easy.

IIRC at some point in France, to prevent discrimination against minorities, you couldn't even put your name, and you were assigned some sort of code when in a big recruitment process. Or at least I read something about it, somewhere. Then, in order to keep banlieu kids out, employers would turn to discriminate by postal code.

Isn't it a bit pointless, though? You'll have to interview eventually; they can discriminate then.

Guess it saves time.  :huh:

celedhring

Duque de Bragança

Photos on CV? Depends on the job, commercial positions, salesmen still need one most of the time.
As for the anonymous CV, it did not really caught but there are still mentions of it, including the governmental agency site for job seekers.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 29, 2015, 05:53:50 PM

Photos on CV? Depends on the job, commercial positions, salesmen still need one most of the time.
As for the anonymous CV, it did not really caught but there are still mentions of it, including the governmental agency site for job seekers.

Some of the USAF's special duty assignments, the ones you have to submit job applications for (kinda like a CV), like to require full-length photos in a certain uniform (usually a dress uniform).

Sheilbh

Sad to see former Law Lord, Lord Mustill, has died:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/law-obituaries/11571720/Lord-Mustill-judge-obituary.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Probably not how he'd want to be remembered, but his most famous judgement:
QuoteLawyers are mourning the death of the judge that defended the right of all red-blooded Englishmen to hammer their foreskins to a plank of wood.

Unfortunately for those red-blooded foreskin bashers, Lord Mustill provided only a dissenting voice in the renowned House of Lords 1993 judgment R v Brown.
Quote"This is a case about the criminal law of violence. In my opinion it should be a case about the criminal law of private sexual relations, if about anything at all."
"I ask myself, not whether as a result of the decision in this appeal, activities such as those of the appellants should cease to be criminal, but rather whether the Act of 1861 (a statute which I venture to repeat once again was clearly intended to penalise conduct of a quite different nature) should in this new situation be interpreted so as to make it criminal. Why should this step be taken?

"Leaving aside repugnance and moral objection, both of which are entirely natural but neither of which are in my opinion grounds upon which the court could properly create a new crime ..."
http://www.legalcheek.com/2015/04/twitter-outpouring-as-r-v-brown-dissenting-judge-dies/
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2015, 04:49:28 PM
Since she's some kind of public figure I guess it's ok.

Is she single Larchie? I seem to recall you have a way with the ladies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2015, 08:25:59 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2015, 04:49:28 PM
Since she's some kind of public figure I guess it's ok.

Is she single Larchie? I seem to recall you have a way with the ladies.

I haven't got the foggiest idea, I don't know her personally.

Valmy

But she is the sister-in-law to your friends erm....whatever. I thought you were close.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2015, 11:41:24 AM
But she is the sister-in-law to your friends erm....whatever. I thought you were close.

I am close to my buddy, yeah, but I couldn't go to his wedding this weekend, and only got to know about this other girl from the pictures I got to see from the event.

Valmy

Fine, don't work your irresistible charm on her. See if I care.