News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Rob Cantor's orchestral/ballet staging of "Cannibal Shia LaBoef" is the most beautiful thing I've seen today. :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2015, 07:34:03 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2015, 06:42:35 PM
China is underestimated in that chart to a laughable degree.

It might be slightly, just marginally, Euro-centric.
:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2015, 08:01:45 AM
I wonder how the authors measure "relative power".

Sales of the previous edition of the chart.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Things that amuse me: Americans applying for a job in this country that list their fraternity merits. Like we give a fuck.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2015, 03:08:49 AM
Things that amuse me: Americans applying for a job in this country that list their fraternity merits. Like we give a fuck.

I'd assume it is just their version of what many people include as some personal items at bottoms of their resume.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

What kind of merits? More keg stands in a single night? Excellence in the art of annying the dean? More toga parties organized?

celedhring

He chaired the Student Activites Committee, so I guess he was the guy organizing the parties. Also head of his pledge class.

You know, it might be actual serious administrative work, but all I know from fraternities I learnt it from Animal House.

The Larch

Organizing big parties requires serious skills, he might have a good head for logistics, budgeting, PR and the like.

celedhring

Then I'll tell the recruiter to ask him about the procurement of booze, girls and pot, in order to evaluate his skills.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2015, 03:29:36 AM
What kind of merits? More keg stands in a single night? Excellence in the art of annying the dean? More toga parties organized?

There are lots of different sorts of fraternities. It might not have been a social one. There are also nerdy ones for high performing students, political ones, and public service related ones.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2015, 03:08:49 AM
My mum found the difference between UK and North American CVs really interesting and quite funny.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Our Canadian colleagues were shocked that job applications over here come with a photo of the applicant.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2015, 07:53:55 AM
Our Canadian colleagues were shocked that job applications over here come with a photo of the applicant.

Yeah that would never happen over here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."