News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Just learned that my mom's Japanese mall-walking buddy was in an internment camp.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2015, 11:35:35 AM
Just learned that my mom's Japanese mall-walking buddy was in an internment camp.

It's that the word kids use these days?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2015, 07:53:55 AM
Our Canadian colleagues were shocked that job applications over here come with a photo of the applicant.
That's a UK/Euro difference too. My initial thought is that it makes discrimination really easy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 29, 2015, 12:47:05 PM
That's a UK/Euro difference too. My initial thought is that it makes discrimination really easy.

First thing I thought of.

Plus much easier to load up HR with hotties.

Sheilbh

Well that's just another form really :P

I am probably shallow enough to be more forgiving of a good looking CV :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It's funny in japan. They have the same photo on cv thing..... But they've really strict unwritten rules about how that photo should look.
When I was working there I was looking at cvs for graduate applicants and it seemed there were only about 5 girls and guys who were applying a bunch of times each under different names.
Same hair style, same make up (on girls), same black suit, Same white shirt, same dead eyed stare....
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

It certainly makes the discrimination process much more efficient. You don't have to invite someone for an interview before you dismiss him based on outward appearance.   :P

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on April 29, 2015, 01:02:30 PM
You don't have to invite someone for an interview before you dismiss him based on outward appearance.   :P

At least an untoward one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Pranksters walled up a train door in Hamburg:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Our Canadian colleagues were shocked that job applications over here come with a photo of the applicant.

I think it's also a huge no no in France as well.

The Larch

Apparently the sister in law of my good Serbian friend's sister is some kind of very minor celebrity over there (DJ, actress and model, or something like that). Amongst her gigs is being public image for Adidas Serbia. Stereotypical much?

celedhring

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2015, 02:06:25 PM

Used to be pretty common in Spain but I'm seeing it less and less.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2015, 04:45:36 PM
Pics.

Since she's some kind of public figure I guess it's ok.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2015, 04:46:48 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2015, 02:06:25 PM

Used to be pretty common in Spain but I'm seeing it less and less.

IIRC at some point in France, to prevent discrimination against minorities, you couldn't even put your name, and you were assigned some sort of code when in a big recruitment process. Or at least I read something about it, somewhere. Then, in order to keep banlieu kids out, employers would turn to discriminate by postal code.