News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It is nonsensical. Why divide the package into arbitrary servings?  Just give the overall information for the contents of the packet.
The only sensible reason to go into servings is when you're on about rather large solid things where there is clearly one per serving.
When they to into "calories per handful" and all that it's just useless.

I really think some people could be getting misled by not examining every inch of the packet.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Got to agree with Tyr, it's total bullshit.

IIRC in the US there has been some reform on the issue. With serving sizes being expanded to what people actually eat, and for many things that people eat in one shot serviving sizes was done away with for just the total calories.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Or just exercise some of those math skills.  :rolleyes:

Liep

Went to the dentist for a regular cleaning. €110. :cry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

1st World Problem: The delicatessen around the corner has closed down and instead we'll get another coffee shop. That's the 7th coffee shop around the square I live near (12th if you count side streets).  :thumbsdown: :boring:

I wonder what will move into the used books shop that also closed a while ago. :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

Quote from: Liep on April 22, 2015, 04:26:12 AM
Went to the dentist for a regular cleaning. €110. :cry:
It costs me nothing when I go. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

If a food item has multiple servings you shouldn't be eating it alone. <_<
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2015, 05:08:05 PM
God dammit.
So it's now the law in most civilized countries that calorie information be displayed on food packets.
So you get your big bag of whatever. You look at the calorie info "240 calories per 100g" - Ahhh.... Ok..... I guess.... That's... Just once....
Wait....
100g? That sound awfully small....
It must say the size of this packet somewhere....
Oh there- 330g.

So how the hell does that 100g reading help the casual member of the public?

You work for a food company, you have the power to change it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2015, 05:17:57 PM
It is nonsensical. Why divide the package into arbitrary servings?  Just give the overall information for the contents of the packet.
The only sensible reason to go into servings is when you're on about rather large solid things where there is clearly one per serving.

I really think some people could be getting misled by not examining every inch of the packet.

It's done so consumers can compare like with like.

Otherwise, the head-math is even harder, with even more room for misinterpretation: is this food lower in calories than that, when one food is 260 cal per package (which is 220 g., but is divided into six servings and you normally eat one per meal) or that food (which is 380 cal per package, which package is 460 g but divided into eight servings?)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2015, 08:15:56 AM

Otherwise, the head-math is even harder, with even more room for misinterpretation: is this food lower in calories than that, when one food is 260 cal per package (which is 220 g., but is divided into six servings and you normally eat one per meal) or that food (which is 380 cal per package, which package is 460 g but divided into eight servings?)

The 100g might be, but here the "servings" which are the ones required to be on the front side are quite arbitrary. For example a half liter of cola has a serving of 250ml, a bag of chips has a serving of 35g, etc.

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on April 22, 2015, 09:09:19 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2015, 08:15:56 AM

The 100g might be, but here the "servings" which are the ones required to be on the front side are quite arbitrary. For example a half liter of cola has a serving of 250ml, a bag of chips has a serving of 35g, etc.

Here in Canada at least, they are established by regulation - to prevent manufacturers from gaming their labelling by simply making up their own.

More than you ever wanted to know on the topic:  http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labelling/food-labelling-for-industry/nutrition-labelling/information-within-the-nutrition-facts-table/eng/1389198568400/1389198597278?chap=5
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

Sheilbh

Yep to Malt and in the UK they show both per 100g and per x gram average serving.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2015, 12:32:01 PM
I hate hay fever. :(

Lots of sneezing going on in these parts.  Seems to be a bad year.