Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on March 29, 2015, 08:06:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2015, 12:34:17 AM
Probably one of the best political cartoons from the Economist:

Do people really fear a Fourth Reich or are Nazi remarks just there to shame Germans and derive a political advantage from that.
I think history casts a long shadow. Most of the time, if things are good, we're able to all rub along by a polite amnesia - especially the UK, we've never even tried atonement as Germany has, preferring to 'move on'. But if the relationship comes under stress then I think that willed amnesia is more difficult to sustain. In many ways it's lucky that of the bail out countries, most were neutral.

I think it would take sadly little pressure in, say, Anglo-Irish relations to bring back talk of the Black and Tans, or the feckless Irish.

And I think it's a universal truth that victims remember longer and more freshly than the 'victors'. I was recently reading a book about gay politics in the early (legal) days and it's astonishing how much these British and American people had the Holocaust in the back of their mind. There was always that fear and memory of what happened to liberated, Isherwood's Berlin.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2015, 11:18:07 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 29, 2015, 11:14:32 AM
You think they point out the irrationality of something that doesn't exist? Non-rhetorical.

Zanza didn't ask if it exists or not.  He asked if it is sincere.

So you think it is an insincere fear but it's not about getting an advantage over Germany? But still irrational?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on March 29, 2015, 11:25:04 AM
So you think it is an insincere fear but it's not about getting an advantage over Germany? But still irrational?

Your posts are taking on a distinctly Razzian tint.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2015, 11:26:37 AM

Are you OK?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Well that's good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

My kid came up with an interesting quip.

We were talking about a trip we had taken with him when he was 3 years old, when he suddenly announced "history isn't what you have lived, it is what you have remembered".

Not bad, for a nine-year-old.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

This one was a bizarre mix of raz and the Yicratic Method. It confused me as well.  Your initial answer did not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Larry the Cable Guy before he started putting on the act:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqm-vKWEkoU

LOL at those buying his redneck persona.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2015, 02:47:36 PM

Ugh, that's some bad hairdo/shirt/trousers/shoes combo. :bleeding:

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2015, 02:50:02 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2015, 02:47:36 PM

Ugh, that's some bad hairdo/shirt/trousers/shoes combo. :bleeding:

In case Larry the Cable Guy hasn't made it to Poland, this is his act now (and he is one of the most successful US comics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hX28XIIhSQ
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2015, 02:36:30 PM

We were talking about a trip we had taken with him when he was 3 years old, when he suddenly announced "history isn't what you have lived, it is what you have remembered".

Tell him to get back to his algebra problems.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on March 29, 2015, 03:00:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2015, 02:36:30 PM

Tell him to get back to his algebra problems.

Heh, these days it is all about the long division.

He came up with another quip - he was looking through my colllection of Spagetti Westerns, having just read a volume of Greek mythology: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Hestia, Cronos, and Hephaestus".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Those are interesting choices.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2015, 04:05:36 PM
Those are interesting choices.

I asked him why he chose these gods in particular.

He said Hestia was the only Olympian god who was reliably nice and inoffensive, and stood for helping the family, which made her "the Good"; while lots of gods were "bad" from time to time, Cronos earned the title of "the Bad" because he ate his own kids, which was about as bad a thing as a 9 year old could even think of; and Hephaestus was famous for being ugly.

Ideologue

I thought it was crystal clear.  Your kid's smart.

Eli Wallach would be a pretty good Hephaestus.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)