News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 28, 2015, 03:05:05 PM
For my Bavarian tracht I really want to do a completely 'correct' Allgau impression.  But it seems like it's impossible to find proper Edelweißhosenträger for sale anywhere online, which is the most distinctive component of this particular region. :weep:

http://en.dawanda.com/product/38146081-Edelweiss-Hosentraeger

http://trachten-gwand.de/shop/Beiwerk/Guertel/Hosentraeger/Allgaeuer-Edelweisshosentraeger::193.html

http://www.ebay.de/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Allgaeuer%20Edelweiss%20Hosentraeger%20Filz%20gestickt&_itemId=220696708547
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

The second link appears to be the correct ones I'm looking for.  :hug:

I don't get how I couldn't find these pages... maybe I should have used google.de ?

edit:  uhh... the price of those  :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 28, 2015, 03:15:10 PM
The second link appears to be the correct ones I'm looking for.  :hug:

I don't get how I couldn't find these pages... maybe I should have used google.de ?

No problem. You probably want to search only for domains from .de or maybe .at on this. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 28, 2015, 03:15:10 PM

The site says they're handmade upon order, so ...  :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

btw this is where I get most of my stuff:

http://www.ernstlicht.com/

My parents actually drove to the physical location of this place and bought me lederhosen from it. :)

Syt

Cool, but if I'm ever forced to wear traditional costume (which might happen if I'm invited t a traditional wedding or similar shindig) I would most likely go with a much more practical North German look :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Neat, so people dress like Popeye where you're from? :hmm:

Syt

:P

Or something like this:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And this would be from my hometown:

The striped shirt/red necktie look is more a fisherman's dress, popular with shanty choirs.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Fourth photo down reminds me of the shit I should be wearing if I was to try to dress like my ancestors (assuming they even wore this stuff at all back then).

That style of tracht features wide brimmed hats with these ridiculous red pompom things on them for chicks.

Syt

Sounds black forestish.

But yeah, many "traditional" dresses were invented in the 19th century.

Actually, I once watched an interesting documentary about Bavaria and its lederhosen. It appears that the Bavarian king, when the German Empire was founded, was worried about losing Bavarian identity. At the time, people in Munich's streets were little different from Berlin. Basically, he hired (Prussian!) PR guys who did a rebranding for his kingdom and who dug deep into rural dresses. What followed was a concerted campaign that promoted wearing that stuff for formal occasions, speaking the rural colloquial dialects etc.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

If I was to go with the region that matches up with the plurality of my ancestry (excluding Switzerland) I'd be wearing Pfalz tracht.  I only have one or two ancestors that I know of from Bavaria.

Admiral Yi

How did these goofballs manage to conquer Europe?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2015, 03:52:46 PM

Hugo Boss restyling.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2015, 03:52:46 PM

You should have seen the Greek traditional dress

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017