News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yeah, it's buzzfeed, but actually a funny/cool story:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/how-i-became-a-minor-celebrity-in-china-after-my#.dlXzAql10

TLDR: BuzzFeed guy has his iPhone stolen in NYC. Pictures of a Chinese dude with an orange tree start showing up in his Instagram account. He writes a BuzzFeed story about it. The thing goes viral in China, and people start looking for "Uncle Orange." They finally find him, and the two get in touch. The BuzzFeed guy is now in China, welcomed like a celebrity, to visit Uncle Orange and hang out with him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Sometimes, I get requests on Skype.

And they turn out like this:

derspiess

Did he kick his ass for taking his phone??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

This weekend I had some Dickel (no 12) Tennessee whiskey, it was The Good. The cigar I had with it was good too.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Dickel 12 is quite good. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The USSC is hearing argument today on whether Texas' ban on Confederate flag car tags is OK.

Guess who CNN had on in his capacity as head of the Sons of Confederate Veterans?

Cooter.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 12:00:37 PM
The USSC is hearing argument today on whether Texas' ban on Confederate flag car tags is OK.

Guess who CNN had on in his capacity as head of the Sons of Confederate Veterans?

Cooter.

:lol:  Did he plug Cooter's Place??

http://www.cootersplace.com/

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2015, 09:16:56 AM
Yeah, it's buzzfeed, but actually a funny/cool story:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/how-i-became-a-minor-celebrity-in-china-after-my#.dlXzAql10

TLDR: BuzzFeed guy has his iPhone stolen in NYC. Pictures of a Chinese dude with an orange tree start showing up in his Instagram account. He writes a BuzzFeed story about it. The thing goes viral in China, and people start looking for "Uncle Orange." They finally find him, and the two get in touch. The BuzzFeed guy is now in China, welcomed like a celebrity, to visit Uncle Orange and hang out with him.

Yeah, I've been following that as it was happening. :blush:

That Buzzfeed guy is also the one person most likely to put together "articles" full of pictures of hot men. :blush: :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Every other week or so, John Oliver shows another piece of American politics or policy that makes me wonder about how fucked up some aspects of America are and whether these are a uniquely American problem or something that we have here as well that just doesn't get publicity. It would be great if we had a comedian that had the talent to show complex issues in the way he does.

Having your car towed here is one that comes to mind. That seems to be racket as you have to pay ridiculous fees which are still just a fraction of the car's value. So they have extreme leverage and there is virtually no way around it.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2015, 12:43:53 PM
Every other week or so, John Oliver shows another piece of American politics or policy that makes me wonder about how fucked up some aspects of America are and whether these are a uniquely American problem or something that we have here as well that just doesn't get publicity. It would be great if we had a comedian that had the talent to show complex issues in the way he does.

Having your car towed here is one that comes to mind. That seems to be racket as you have to pay ridiculous fees which are still just a fraction of the car's value. So they have extreme leverage and there is virtually no way around it.

Oliver Welke not good enough? :P

But yeah, we don't have that. For a while, Extra3 was pretty good, but I haven't watched it in ages.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2015, 12:43:53 PM

Couple things to mention:

1. Yes these are not things that are common knowledge and I suspect you could do something like this for every country in the world.

2. This is also a comedy routine and he plays up the absurdity for laughs. Things are not quite as extreme as he plays them up to be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 12:52:33 PM
2. This is also a comedy routine and he plays up the absurdity for laughs. Things are not quite as extreme as he plays them up to be.

Don't ruin it for him :D

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 12:52:33 PM
Of course. If it was just a dull report on something, I wouldn't watch it the first place. I just watch it because I like his delivery of the topics.