And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2015, 03:19:54 PM
Sometimes stereotypes hold true.
Some German friends stayed over last night.
And I've just realised they ate all my sausages.

Thoroughly cleam the pink end and try not to abrade it for several days.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Except that one of course.
Sadly.
I expected someone to say that but you Mongers? sheesh. ;)
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Did you wake up with any shit on your chest?  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on March 21, 2015, 05:38:11 AM
this state chose to draw the line at the womb. baby inside the womb = not murder. baby outside the womb = murder. in the latter, the baby has "entered the world" and is developed enough to survive for a short time away from the mother. he has experienced the world (albeit briefly and in no material way). calling it murder makes sense to me, and it's something both sides in the abortion debate can agree on.

not really.

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2015, 03:19:54 PM
Sometimes stereotypes hold true.
Some German friends stayed over last night.
And I've just realised they ate all my sausages.

It would be more German if they ate you.

Josquius

Something I recently noticed is super fucking offensive from an over thinking CS POV but normal people won't notice:

I sometimes typo ? as >, what with shift + two keys next to each other being the difference.

Am I implying I see them as little more than computer programs?

HOW ARE YOU >

IF DRUNK GO TO PUB>

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2015, 03:52:41 PM
     IF DRUNK GO TO PUB>

Sounds like the beginning of an infinite loop...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2015, 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 21, 2015, 05:38:11 AM
this state chose to draw the line at the womb. baby inside the womb = not murder. baby outside the womb = murder. in the latter, the baby has "entered the world" and is developed enough to survive for a short time away from the mother. he has experienced the world (albeit briefly and in no material way). calling it murder makes sense to me, and it's something both sides in the abortion debate can agree on.

not really.

You only consider killing gays murder.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2015, 03:40:59 PMnot really.

can. :P

it's a compromise that doesn't really hurt anyone, except this crazed chick.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2015, 05:11:42 AM
Personally I don't see much difference between killing a fetus and then taking it out and vice versa.

Well clearly the line has to be drawn someplace yes? This one seems reasonable to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2015, 05:07:13 AM
So the whole "was it a baby murder" debate sounds like unnecessary abortion semantics issue.

Why is it semantics? I mean unless all law is "semantics". I guess it is but it is very necessary to make these sorts of definitions.

When does it become "baby murder" to you?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ideologue

As completely beside the point as it is to argue about it in this case, Martinus is right that the "birth" threshold for personhood is a completely spurious one.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on March 22, 2015, 12:47:51 AM
As completely beside the point as it is to argue about it in this case, Martinus is right that the "birth" threshold for personhood is a completely spurious one.

By necessity. But yeah this is no more of an abortion than ISIS is performing brain surgery when they decapitate somebody.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2015, 12:49:56 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 22, 2015, 12:47:51 AM

By necessity. But yeah this is no more of an abortion than ISIS is performing brain surgery when they decapitate somebody.

In this case it strikes me as mainly an excuse for the death penalty (or life imprisonment, I guess); but there's no reason why batteries like this one shouldn't be punished with the death penalty even without a pregnant victim at all.  That said, you could make a solid argument that a non-state actor intentionally and maliciously destroying someone's pregnancy without their consent should be worth the death penalty without any special pleading that the fetus is a human.  The victim is.  That's enough.

If the prosecutor wants to use an existing law to achieve that result, that's cool with me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)