Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2014, 03:18:43 PM
Anyway, the latest women's health crisis is:  fat shaming by doctors.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/medical-mistakes-fat-shaming-doctors

Now the article only relies upon twitter for support, but it seems like a valid complaint: doctors taking one look at a patient and saying "you need to lose weight", rather than actually considering what other medical concerns might be going on in the person's life.

It's not saying that doctors can't talk about fat or weight loss, but that there is more to a patient than that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2014, 03:34:47 PM
It's not saying that doctors can't talk about fat or weight loss, but that there is more to a patient than that.

Weight is a contributing factor in so many things, though. Why not think big?

11B4V

26TH IS A HOLIDAY. A PAID ONE AT THAT. I WILL PUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS TO GOOD WORK. MAYBE SOME BULLETS OR POWDER.

THAT IS ALL
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on December 12, 2014, 04:01:20 PM
26TH IS A HOLIDAY. A PAID ONE AT THAT. I WILL PUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS TO GOOD WORK. MAYBE SOME BULLETS OR POWDER.

THAT IS ALL

First day of Kwanzaa?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Quote from: 11B4V on December 12, 2014, 04:01:20 PM

THAT IS ALL

Funny, I just told The Wife that I would go shoot my Xmas gift that day since we got that day off now.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I am confused as to why there is so much excitement about that. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 04:12:48 PM
Powder, eh?

Presumably Black Powder.

Though that video clip implies it may be White Powder.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2014, 03:34:47 PM

Now the article only relies upon twitter for support, but it seems like a valid complaint: doctors taking one look at a patient and saying "you need to lose weight", rather than actually considering what other medical concerns might be going on in the person's life.

There's an upper limit to the overweight-but-not-a-particular-health-problem status, I think. Sometimes I would imagine it's totally valid for the doctor to take one look and say you need to lose weight.

I mean nobody 600lbs can legitimately go around saying it's healthy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2014, 04:19:21 PM
I am confused as to why there is so much excitement about that. :unsure:

The boss gave us the day off, we have the right to be excited.

U jelly?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

I'm off on Xmas..BFD.  Means I get to work 10 hr days because I don't get holiday.pay.

So yes, I am.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 04:41:54 PM
I'm off on Xmas..BFD.  Means I get to work 10 hr days because I don't get holiday.pay.

So yes, I am.

You could always just take less money.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2014, 12:25:52 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 11, 2014, 10:35:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2014, 10:21:57 AM
See? Immigrants do flout the law, and want nothing more than to change Britain's culture. :o

Actually, I have only started rampant jaywalking since arriving here and studying the local cultural behaviour patterns. Nobody gives a rat's ass about pedestrians' traffic lights.

For cars they're the law, for people they're just recommendations.
I was totally shocked when I got to japan and found out it was illegal to cross at a red light there.
It's against the law in America too, it's just very rarely enforced
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point