News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Take some Melatonin an hour or so before you go to bed, helps turn your brain off.  But you're a goofy fuck anyway, so who knows if it would do any good.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on December 05, 2014, 12:21:02 PM
Getting to sleep is hard.
I wish I could just decide to go to bed at 10 and get up at 6 but it takes an hour or two to get to sleep.

I've been there... though it was a while ago. Hard physical work and/or not getting enough sleep due to circumstances beyond your control tends to cure that. Of course, that stuff is hard to implement when you have to impose them on yourself - but if you manage to sign yourself up to regular tiring exercise that can really help with the early to bed thing, in my experience. Exhaustion can definitely help you fall asleep earlier, for example.

Also, and this is kinda obvious, but it took me years to figure it out - check your caffeine intake. It used not to bother me at all, but as I've gotten older I've found that if I have caffeine as much as four to five hours before bedtime, it makes it harder for me to sleep.

Syt

It seems Italian footballer Mario Balotelli got some bad comments for sharing this:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2014, 07:02:34 PM
Life is too short to accept second best. Be a winner.

Life is too short to pretend to be a winner.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2014, 12:52:27 PM
It seems Italian footballer Mario Balotelli got some bad comments for sharing this:

All the bad press is about it being anti-semitic....when the Jewish punch line is quite a ridiculous joke, poking fun at the stereotype more than anything.
The other little bits of racism though...far more real.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

I'm going to Lyon tomorrow.
I'm not sure how much time I'll get to see interesting things since there's a festival of lights going on and I'm with a group of people (people suck. They never appreciate fine stone work) but still. Anything in the centre I must see?

Quote from: Jacob on December 05, 2014, 12:37:36 PM
I've been there... though it was a while ago. Hard physical work and/or not getting enough sleep due to circumstances beyond your control tends to cure that. Of course, that stuff is hard to implement when you have to impose them on yourself - but if you manage to sign yourself up to regular tiring exercise that can really help with the early to bed thing, in my experience. Exhaustion can definitely help you fall asleep earlier, for example.

Also, and this is kinda obvious, but it took me years to figure it out - check your caffeine intake. It used not to bother me at all, but as I've gotten older I've found that if I have caffeine as much as four to five hours before bedtime, it makes it harder for me to sleep.

I don't drink much caffine. I can't stand coffee and only occasionally drink cola.
I guess exercise would help. When it warms up I'll have to get running again.
There's also the problem of not wanting nights to end as that means I'll have to go to work in a conscious hour or two. Fighting that one will be tough.
Though I guess with my company's flexitime waking up early isn't so terrible, if I go in early I could do things in the evenings.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on December 05, 2014, 01:47:58 PM
Though I guess with my company's flexitime waking up early isn't so terrible, if I go in early I could do things in the evenings.

That is what I have done for years.  I fall asleep almost instantly but I wake up early, I get up do work for a couple hours before engaging in the usual routine of getting myself and family ready for the day.  You can be very productive that way and, as a side benefit, it also helps you fall asleep again - a virtuous cycle.  The only problem are those nights I need to go out to some function - its hard for me to stay up very late.

DGuller

My sushi that I ordered on Seamless arrived in 13 minutes.  The sushi place is more than a mile away.  How did they do it?  :huh:

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2014, 06:22:32 PM
My sushi that I ordered on Seamless arrived in 13 minutes.  The sushi place is more than a mile away.  How did they do it?  :huh:

What did you order.  How long does it take to drive/walk a mile?

Ideologue

Wormholes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 05, 2014, 01:33:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2014, 07:02:34 PM
Life is too short to accept second best. Be a winner.

Life is too short to pretend to be a winner.

Young people.  :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

That's nothing, the pizza I'm going to order in 10 minutes just arrived.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Sometimes you have to accept the future will be as mediocre as the past. This is, technically, hopefulness speaking.
Kinemalogue

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 05, 2014, 06:28:09 PM

What did you order.  How long does it take to drive/walk a mile?
Three rolls and miso soup.  The delivery guy had a wet raincoat on, so I assume he was on a bike.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 05, 2014, 06:33:30 PM
Sometimes you have to accept the future will be as mediocre as the past. This is, technically, hopefulness speaking.

Sounds dreary and dull
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive