Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2014, 06:58:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 06:22:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2014, 06:20:15 PM
Lenders' business is lending, garbon.  They don't have a personal relationship with you based on a love and understanding of your soul.  They made you an offer, its exact terms based on mathematical models, the same way they did approximately two billion other people yesterday.

:huh:

I just don't know why you think it's super-weird that a company is mass-mailing for bidness.

Well this is the first time they have ever offered me personal loan on the basis that I've been a customer in good standing for 10 years. They've offered me loans before but never with that wrapping. Perhaps you are right and it is all some blind marketing thing but then I'd say that this new "tailored but not" attempt is worse as it makes no sense. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2014, 07:24:54 PM
You're a windup toy.

The monkey with the drums, or one of those cars that change direction when they hit the walls?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 08:03:18 PM
The monkey with the drums, or one of those cars that change direction when they hit the walls?

That's not even a serious question.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2014, 08:30:34 PM

Why so serious?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Here you go, Ed.  For next Father's Day.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 08:32:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2014, 08:30:34 PM

Why so serious?

Econometrics.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 06:29:56 PM
I make nearly all of my purchases with plastic. Collect my rewards points and pay off the balance at the end of the month.

No kidding.  I buy just about everything with a Discover or Amazon rewards card.  Why leave money on the table?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Lots of police today around my workplace's subway station. Seems John Kerry and Catherine Ashton are meeting the Iranians at the IAEA today.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

The crash of the bank Hypo Alpe Adria costs taxpayers €19 billion.

The Technical University Vienna started a project where they planned a fictional city on that budget, calling it "Hypotopia".

A model of the city, scale 1/100, can be seen at Karlsplatz this week.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

The geography of that city looks a bit like Belgrade's.

Syt

I was thinking Pittsburgh, actually.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2014, 06:56:08 AM

Actually, yes. How come are you familiar with Pittsburgh's layout?  :huh:

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on October 15, 2014, 09:32:19 AM

Syt has a sister in every American city.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2014, 09:38:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 15, 2014, 09:32:19 AM

Syt has a sister in every American city.

:shifty:
—Stephen Jay Gould