News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I got a letter from Discover telling me that since I had been so diligent about paying my Discover bills in the last 10 years that they wanted to invite me to take out a personal loan that can help me consolidate my debt. I'm a bit confused as to why they offer plans to consolidate debt to people who have diligently paid off what they owe each month. Seems like a backwards process.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 05:57:13 PM
I got a letter from Discover telling me that since I had been so diligent about paying my Discover bills in the last 10 years that they wanted to invite me to take out a personal loan that can help me consolidate my debt. I'm a bit confused as to why they offer plans to consolidate debt to people who have diligently paid off what they owe each month. Seems like a backwards process.

People who have had a history of problems with loans who have paid tons of interest once are likely to pay it again.  It's called predatory lending.  Yi probably calls it something else, like profit.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 06:02:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 05:57:13 PM

People who have had a history of problems with loans who have paid tons of interest once are likely to pay it again.  It's called predatory lending.  Yi probably calls it something else, like profit.

That doesn't really explain why they would offer me a loan though. I've demonstrated to Discover that at least on their accounts, I have no debt to consolidate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Oh my bad, I thought you wrote you haven't paid your debts with them in 10 years.  :lol:  :blush:

You're a wellspring of good credit, and that means more revenue. I'm sure the "debt consolidation" line is just an excuse to get you to take out a line of credit.  Yi would still call that profit.  :P

Ideologue

Lenders' business is lending, garbon.  They don't have a personal relationship with you based on a love and understanding of your soul.  They made you an offer, its exact terms based on mathematical models, the same way they did approximately two billion other people yesterday.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Their business is also evil, but you can read more about that in the Quran. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 06:19:27 PM
Oh my bad, I thought you wrote you haven't paid your debts with them in 10 years.  :lol:  :blush:

Bitch! :lol:

You're a wellspring of good credit, and that means more revenue. I'm sure the "debt consolidation" line is just an excuse to get you to take out a line of credit.  Yi would still call that profit.  :P

Yeah they have suggested lines of credit before but this was the first time with a stated reason.

Also, did they change rules for credit card limits? They sent me a note saying that I could put in a request for more credit. I seem to recall in the past that they would just give it to you.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2014, 06:20:15 PM
Lenders' business is lending, garbon.  They don't have a personal relationship with you based on a love and understanding of your soul.  They made you an offer, its exact terms based on mathematical models, the same way they did approximately two billion other people yesterday.

:huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 06:22:03 PM

Well, it is Discover...what are they gonna do, cancel your Prodigy account?  :lol:

QuoteThey sent me a note saying that I could put in a request for more credit. I seem to recall in the past that they would just give it to you.

Ooooh, I bet they did.  You know, I think that was part of financial reform some years back.  Can't be sure, I haven't had a credit card in 19 years.   :yuk:

sbr

I have gotten automatic and unrequested limit increases on my credit cards multiple times this year.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 06:26:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 06:22:03 PM

Well, it is Discover...what are they gonna do, cancel your Prodigy account?  :lol:

QuoteThey sent me a note saying that I could put in a request for more credit. I seem to recall in the past that they would just give it to you.

Ooooh, I bet they did.  You know, I think that was part of financial reform some years back.  Can't be sure, I haven't had a credit card in 19 years.   :yuk:

I make nearly all of my purchases with plastic. Collect my rewards points and pay off the balance at the end of the month.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on October 14, 2014, 06:28:38 PM
I have gotten automatic and unrequested limit increases on my credit cards multiple times this year.

Then I wonder what the deal is then. I know it was Discover that used to increase my limit unrequested as this one card I first got as a student with a very tiny limit.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 06:22:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2014, 06:20:15 PM

:huh:

I just don't know why you think it's super-weird that a company is mass-mailing for bidness.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 06:02:35 PM

You're a windup toy.

garbon

Buzzfeed posted up, for Brits, of what the British "ethnic food" section looks like in American grocery stores. :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone/heres-what-the-british-food-section-of-an-american-supermark