And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on October 07, 2014, 08:06:01 AM
You forgot the [rant] tags.

I just cannot shake the feeling of all this being cheap politics.

What they are doing with this and other stuff is sacrificing economical development to score cheap feel-good scores with the voters who don't know better.
The sentiment behind wanting to limit emissions is noble of course, but the way to Hell is paved with good intentions.

If global warming is happening (and I do believe it does), and it is unavoidable because part of it is natural and the human-made effects are ignored by those who contribute most to it, then hindering your country's development in a futile (and I believe dishonest) effort to counter global warming is a crime and a mistake, because your country will need all possible resources and strength to counter the adverse effects (as well capitalising on the positive ones).

Tamas

And this reaches levels of high treason in my opinion. France and UK have such massive gas reserves accessible via fracking that they could remove all dependency on Russia, yet their leaders decide to reduce their countries' independence to score cheap votes instead of explaining the situation to voters (namely that it is the definition of hypocrisy to oppose fracking on environmental grounds while buying expensive gas from Russia which I am pretty sure just farts in the general direction of the environment).

Jacob

High treason?

Shouldn't you wait until you're a citizen of the UK before you level charges of sedition at the duly elected representatives of the realm?

CountDeMoney

China, Russia and India don't care, and even full-blown, WW2-level national mobilization of environmental policies by the West cannot keep up with the damage they're doing.  Hell, even the West can't keep up with its own standards.

Buh bye, Earth.

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2014, 11:31:00 AM
High treason?

Shouldn't you wait until you're a citizen of the UK before you level charges of sedition at the duly elected representatives of the realm?

Its nothing to do with where I live. Notice how I have the same opinion on France as well.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 11:37:01 AM
China, Russia and India don't care, and even full-blown, WW2-level national mobilization of environmental policies by the West cannot keep up with the damage they're doing.  Hell, even the West can't keep up with its own standards.

Buh bye, Earth.

Buh bye human civilisation, maybe (although I am sceptical). Earth will be fine. There were times when the artics had lush forests. The Earth was fine then, it will be fine now.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2014, 11:39:47 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 11:37:01 AM

Buh bye, Earth.

Buh bye human civilisation, maybe (although I am sceptical). Earth will be fine. There were times when the artics had lush forests. The Earth was fine then, it will be fine now.

What are you, a lawyer?  Fuck off.

garbon

I realized right now, as my befuddled brain barely noticed Mark Wahlberg walking by me on the way to filming outside NYPL*, that my celebrity spotting game is weak. I've been here 4 years and I can only mention seeing:

Alan Cumming
Mark Wahlberg
Naomi Campbell
Oh and that actress who played Meredith's stepmother on Grey's Anatomy

I guess I can take solace in the fact that 2 in the 4 actually spoke to me but still, pretty weak. :weep:

*internets say filming for Ted 2.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2014, 11:39:01 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2014, 11:31:00 AM
High treason?

Its nothing to do with where I live. Notice how I have the same opinion on France as well.

Traitors everywhere, eh?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 07, 2014, 11:51:31 AM
I realized right now, as my befuddled brain barely noticed Mark Wahlberg walking by me on the way to filming outside NYPL*, that my celebrity spotting game is weak. I've been here 4 years and I can only mention seeing:

Alan Cumming
Mark Wahlberg
Naomi Campbell
Oh and that actress who played Meredith's stepmother on Grey's Anatomy

I guess I can take solace in the fact that 2 in the 4 actually spoke to me but still, pretty weak. :weep:

*internets say filming for Ted 2.

I've seen a few celebrities here & there that I could not immediately place but knew I knew them from somewhere.  Most recent was Cate Blanchett here in Cincy.

I saw Wahlberg last year in Chicago but it was unmistakable since it was right next to the set for Transformers 4 or whatever number it was.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Oh I guess forgot Judith Light who was in the audience of a play I saw.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2014, 08:18:33 AM
And this reaches levels of high treason in my opinion. France and UK have such massive gas reserves accessible via fracking that they could remove all dependency on Russia, yet their leaders decide to reduce their countries' independence to score cheap votes instead of explaining the situation to voters (namely that it is the definition of hypocrisy to oppose fracking on environmental grounds while buying expensive gas from Russia which I am pretty sure just farts in the general direction of the environment).

You seem to have a really strong opinion on something on which you seem to have very little knowledge. Both the UK and France have very little or no dependency on Russian gas, estimated reserves of recoverable shale gas which are not that big in the first place and good alternatives as energy sources in place, be them the North Sea gas fields for the UK or their massive nuclear energy system for France (which makes them one of the world's leading electricity exporters). This might change over time, of course, mostly when the North sea gas fields begin to dry up in the next 10-20 years, but for the moment there's no urgent need to frack in those two countries.

If you have any additional information about this feel free to share it, some of my assumptions might be incorrect, but I feel that you have, as usual, overreacted.

Valmy

I thought he was saying they could end European dependency on Russian gas.  I guess he thinks you guys have some sort of Union or something where the component states would consider the interests of the whole.  Crazy talk.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Try fracking instead;  it's good, and good for you.

Liep

Pffft, the earthquake swindle.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk