Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2014, 11:14:56 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 02, 2014, 11:05:44 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2014, 10:58:41 AM
I don't know which I hate more - Silicon Valley "disruptive" douchebags that think just because they do something on the internet that normal rules don't apply to them, or the poster-child of regulatory capture that are taxi boards.

Artificially limiting the number of taxis allowed on the streets benefits nobody other than taxi companies.  The whole model of taxi licensing should be dramatically deregulated.  However, Uber/Lyft and the like need to follow the rules like anybody else.

There is definitely a lot of quasi-anarchist douchebag bullshit coming out of SV right now.  That said, it is hard to play by rules that were created to prevent you from existing in the first place.

Then they can buy a medallion and get licensed by the city commission like everybody else.  They've got the cash for it.  The fact they go to work in t-shirts and shoes with no socks on in Silicon Valley doesn't make them any different than any other capital investment firm.

Don't you realise that rule is a total BS and only serves as a barrier for new competition, so the established ones can cartel the shit out of prices and stuff?

It might had the advantage of keeping total idiots out of the business, but since then this little thing called the Internet has been invented, and in a system like Uber, drivers are ranked and reviewed, so assholes and scammers will be without business anyways.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2014, 11:14:56 AM
I don't know which I hate more - Silicon Valley "disruptive" douchebags that think just because they do something on the internet that normal rules don't apply to them, or the poster-child of regulatory capture that are taxi boards.

Artificially limiting the number of taxis allowed on the streets benefits nobody other than taxi companies.  The whole model of taxi licensing should be dramatically deregulated.  However, Uber/Lyft and the like need to follow the rules like anybody else.

There is definitely a lot of quasi-anarchist douchebag bullshit coming out of SV right now.  That said, it is hard to play by rules that were created to prevent you from existing in the first place.

Then they can buy a medallion and get licensed by the city commission like everybody else.  They've got the cash for it.  The fact they go to work in t-shirts and shoes with no socks on in Silicon Valley doesn't make them any different than any other capital investment firm.

Maybe yellow cabs should get an app. It is much easier for me to get an uber or gypsy cab then wait all day for a yellow cab.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2014, 11:17:53 AM
Don't you realise that rule is a total BS and only serves as a barrier for new competition, so the established ones can cartel the shit out of prices and stuff?

Don't you realize that if the NYC cabbie industry wasn't regulated and controlled, nobody would get anywhere? 

Hey garbon, what do you think lower Manhattan traffic would look like if the reins were taken off the cabbie industry, and every dirtbag with a minivan decided to hack?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2014, 11:22:07 AMIt is much easier for me to get an uber or gypsy cab then wait all day for a yellow cab.

For now.  Wait till it dwarfs the yellow cabs.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2014, 11:25:01 AM

Don't you realize that if the NYC cabbie industry wasn't regulated and controlled, nobody would get anywhere? 

Hey garbon, what do you think lower Manhattan traffic would look like if the reins were taken off the cabbie industry, and every dirtbag with a minivan decided to hack?

To be honest, I don't know. The subway system is so affordable that there's little reason not to use it as my main transportation source. In fact, I generally only take cabs if a) late at night/too drunk, b) going somewhere "far" like village to UES and I'm feeling lazy, c) going to/from airport though usually use car service or d) going to a job interview and want to make sure that rain/humidity hasn't hampered my look.

I mean right now we have Uber and gypsy cabs and I'm not sure they are snarling up all traffic. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2014, 11:26:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2014, 11:22:07 AMIt is much easier for me to get an uber or gypsy cab then wait all day for a yellow cab.

For now.  Wait till it dwarfs the yellow cabs.

I don't understand. Why would it be harder to get an uber/gypsy cab if there were more of them than licensed cabs? :unsure:

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2014, 11:12:53 AM

This.

No.  They can go out and lobby to change the system, or challenge it in court, like everybody else.  That can't just barge ahead and pretend the rules don't even apply to them.

To be fair to Uber, it has started to do this, but only after being repeatedly called out for ignoring the law.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2014, 11:40:59 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2014, 11:12:53 AM

This.

No.  They can go out and lobby to change the system, or challenge it in court, like everybody else.  That can't just barge ahead and pretend the rules don't even apply to them.

To be fair to Uber, it has started to do this, but only after being repeatedly called out for ignoring the law.

That law was in place to protect established monopolies. I will not shed a tear.

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2014, 11:44:23 AM

That law was in place to protect established monopolies. I will not shed a tear.

So are the provincial Law Societies. They protect the established monopoly that benefits me. One hand washes the other, so I have to shed a tear.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

That can't just barge ahead and pretend the rules don't even apply to them.

There is a very long tradition of doing this in the case of economically restrictive laws that are difficult to enforce. See diocletian's edict of maximum prices, among others.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

It's a ride-sharing service, not a taxi service.  So those taxi laws don't apply.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

You guys are fortunate enough to not really see how laws and customs like this come to life, Hungary has had a number of very new ones thanks to the glorious present government, which regulated and monopolised a lot of things from watermelon pricing to tobacco sales. Seeing it in practice at birth really makes you appreciate the sinister nature of it. I understand having it as default through your life makes you subservient to its existence (I mean look at CdM), but the world and technology needs and will move on eventually, only question is if these oppressing dinosaurs manage to delay it or not.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 02, 2014, 11:59:49 AM

It's a ride-sharing service, not a taxi service.  So those taxi laws don't apply.

Is it really though? As far as I know the uber drivers are just looking around for fares. They aren't typically traveling to a specific destination themselves and happening to let me go on part of that journey if I had them a few bucks.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 02, 2014, 11:59:49 AM
It's a ride-sharing service, not a taxi service.

And what, exactly, is the difference?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2014, 11:25:01 AM

:hmm: Better?