News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Watching the news about the NATO meeting. Rasmussen, the head of NATO is speaking- he sounds surprisingly Irish :blink:
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on September 05, 2014, 01:11:53 PM
Watching the news about the NATO meeting. Rasmussen, the head of NATO is speaking- he sounds surprisingly Irish :blink:

LOL, yeah he does.  I knew one Danish dude who sounded vaguely Australian.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

This evening Pres.Obama made an unannouced visit to Stonehenge, just up the road/river from here, on his way home from the NATO summit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-29083959

The funny thing is the barbed wire fence isn't for the President's benefit, but to separate the national trust land, which anyone can walk in, from the small area of land the monument stands on and to access to which you have to pay $30.

So these cheapskates, possibly locals, who used that route to view the stones for free from around 30 yards, also go to meet the President of the United States.   :cool:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

But did the POTUS pay the $30?  :P

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2014, 10:53:15 PM
But did the POTUS pay the $30?  :P

Interesting question.

I'd guess they'd be meticulous and above board and pay, is only as a contribution towards lost visitor revenue.

But I think it currently closes at 7pm, which is around the time he visited, so few would have been there and the visit would have inconvenienced hardly anybody.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2014, 08:06:52 AM
Since he hunted the guy down, I don't have a problem. Why is father of 3 relevant?
According to the judge he roped them into the hunt:
QuoteThe judge added: "All you needed to do was to phone the police and give them the information. However, you armed yourself with a knife and, along with your three sons, went looking for him."

QuoteOh, I agree that it's the growing pains of something new replacing the old. You see a similar fight between Amazon and traditional publishers. I don't mind those discussions and ideally it leads to more competition.
Has Amazon really lead to more competition?

QuoteThere is a clear cut answer alright. Even if it was difficult to know what kind of driver you sit behind in a taxi, Uber AFAIK has a review system. And is not like the current guild system used for taxis has stopped many taxi drivers to be major assholes and crooks.
Taxi drivers are pretty good. It's the unlicensed minicab drivers who are the crooks (and worse).

QuoteI don't know which I hate more - Silicon Valley "disruptive" douchebags that think just because they do something on the internet that normal rules don't apply to them, or the poster-child of regulatory capture that are taxi boards.

Artificially limiting the number of taxis allowed on the streets benefits nobody other than taxi companies.  The whole model of taxi licensing should be dramatically deregulated.  However, Uber/Lyft and the like need to follow the rules like anybody else.
Yep.

QuoteMaybe yellow cabs should get an app. It is much easier for me to get an uber or gypsy cab then wait all day for a yellow cab.
Can you get Hailo in NY? That's an app for hailing a black cab in London.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I just saw Hailo the other day as an app. Had never ever heard of it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I'm in Switzerland.
So many cute girls.
I don't know what it is about continentals that makes then so much hotter than the girls back home (well, except not being fat). It's just.... They seem....fresh. But not in a pervy 1000 virgins sort of way. Fresh just seems the word.... Wholesome?
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2014, 11:10:41 AM
I'm in Switzerland.
So many cute girls.
I don't know what it is about continentals that makes then so much hotter than the girls back home (well, except not being fat). It's just.... They seem....fresh. But not in a pervy 1000 virgins sort of way. Fresh just seems the word.... Wholesome?

:cheers:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: mongers on September 05, 2014, 06:34:27 PM
The funny thing is the barbed wire fence isn't for the President's benefit, but to separate the national trust land, which anyone can walk in, from the small area of land the monument stands on and to access to which you have to pay $30.

That's ludicrous.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2014, 11:10:41 AM
I'm in Switzerland.
So many cute girls.

Sounds awful.  I want a world where every woman is thin and moderately attractive.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2014, 12:21:38 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 06, 2014, 11:34:30 AM
That's ludicrous.

How so?

$30 to see an ancient monument in an open field that is constructed exclusively of rough-hewn stone?  Where the hell is all that money going?  It's certainly not going to site maintenance, or the non-existent archaeological dig at the site.  Sounds like a British agency using a famous monument as a cash cow.