And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2014, 12:08:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 02, 2014, 11:59:49 AM
It's a ride-sharing service, not a taxi service.

And what, exactly, is the difference?

Yeah, I think they have co-opted what ride sharing actually is - to make a distinction between what they offer / what taxis offer that really isn't there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2014, 11:40:59 AM
No.  They can go out and lobby to change the system, or challenge it in court, like everybody else.  That can't just barge ahead and pretend the rules don't even apply to them.

To be fair to Uber, it has started to do this, but only after being repeatedly called out for ignoring the law.
I see your point, but the problem is, it's never going to happen the other way.  Bad laws tend to get repealed only after widespread non-compliance.  How is Uber going to challenge the taxi cartel laws in court, when they have no revenue coming in?

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on September 02, 2014, 10:36:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2014, 06:19:24 AM
Cheaper != better.
Sure, taxi driver licensing systems have elements of trying to control the market and keep the jobs of taxi drivers secure, but a big part of its reason for existence is also to make sure people who are out there doing the job are capable of doing it and aren't going to get anyone killed.
There's no clear cut answer to which side is in the right on this one.

Tyr, this is a good point. A driver's license qualifies you to drive a car, and one with other people in it, but who is to say you can drive a car safely with other people in it if they are paying you money?

How many times have I been in a cab and thought, "thank goodness I have such a safe and curteous driver"?

I'm pretty sure you do need a special sort of insurance for driving with passengers.
Also It is far from unknown for unlicensed taxi drivers to not even have valid drivers licenses. Not to mention the potential for other crime that comes from convincing someone, possible a drunk girl, to get in your car.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2014, 12:17:25 PM
No.  They can go out and lobby to change the system, or challenge it in court, like everybody else.  That can't just barge ahead and pretend the rules don't even apply to them.

To be fair to Uber, it has started to do this, but only after being repeatedly called out for ignoring the law.
I see your point, but the problem is, it's never going to happen the other way.  Bad laws tend to get repealed only after widespread non-compliance.  How is Uber going to challenge the taxi cartel laws in court, when they have no revenue coming in?

The same way they're doing it now - through venture capital.

You don't think they're profitable at present, do you?  They're a privately held start up still receiving funding.

I would note that originally the company was called UberCab.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2014, 12:29:17 PM

You don't think they're profitable at present, do you?  They're a privately held start up still receiving funding.

Still, why would anyone undertake an incredibly arduous process of repealing cartel laws, when they don't even know if they have a successful venture?  It's just not going to happen.  Requiring Uber to repeal taxi laws before putting cabs out on the street is tantamount to requiring Uber to not exist. 

Sometimes you just have to violate laws and create facts on the ground.  That's not a mark against companies like Uber, that's a mark against the way our legal system works.

derspiess

Not subject to taxi regulations ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2014, 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2014, 12:29:17 PM

Still, why would anyone undertake an incredibly arduous process of repealing cartel laws, when they don't even know if they have a successful venture?  It's just not going to happen.  Requiring Uber to repeal taxi laws before putting cabs out on the street is tantamount to requiring Uber to not exist. 

Sometimes you just have to violate laws and create facts on the ground.  That's not a mark against companies like Uber, that's a mark against the way our legal system works.

Like how sometimes you have to hang bankers from lamp posts for years before the government gets around to making it technically legal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 02, 2014, 12:49:24 PM

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2014, 12:55:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 02, 2014, 12:49:24 PM

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
You can find a lawyer to convince the judge it's a chicken? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

citizen k

"Hold my beer and watch this!"

New York driver chains neck to pole, hits gas pedal, gets decapitated
Reuters
41 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A 51-year-old man decapitated himself in New York's Bronx borough by chaining his neck to a pole, getting into his car and stomping on the gas, police said on Tuesday.

The gory scene in the Hunts Point neighborhood of the Bronx, where the man's head and body lay on the street after the incident on Monday, was under investigation as an apparent suicide.

Police said Tomas Rivera, of Port Jervis, New York, about 70 miles northwest of New York City, went to Longfellow Avenue in the Bronx at about 9:20 a.m. and wrapped a chain around a pole.

He then entered his white Honda Pilot and put the other end of the chain around his neck, according to police. Once inside the car, he hit the gas pedal, causing the chain to yank off his head, which flew back onto the street.

The car continued down the street until it hit a parked car, and the impact ejected Rivera's body onto the street.

Police said it was unclear whether he had left a suicide note.

Ideologue

If I were still being an Eyore, that's the kind of Eyore I'd wanna be.

QuoteThe car continued down the street until it hit a parked car, and the impact ejected Rivera's body onto the street.

Perfect stinger.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Now that is a badass way to commit suicide. Also innovative.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Josquius

Quote from: citizen k on September 02, 2014, 01:00:42 PM
"Hold my beer and watch this!"

New York driver chains neck to pole, hits gas pedal, gets decapitated
Reuters
41 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A 51-year-old man decapitated himself in New York's Bronx borough by chaining his neck to a pole, getting into his car and stomping on the gas, police said on Tuesday.

The gory scene in the Hunts Point neighborhood of the Bronx, where the man's head and body lay on the street after the incident on Monday, was under investigation as an apparent suicide.

Police said Tomas Rivera, of Port Jervis, New York, about 70 miles northwest of New York City, went to Longfellow Avenue in the Bronx at about 9:20 a.m. and wrapped a chain around a pole.

He then entered his white Honda Pilot and put the other end of the chain around his neck, according to police. Once inside the car, he hit the gas pedal, causing the chain to yank off his head, which flew back onto the street.

The car continued down the street until it hit a parked car, and the impact ejected Rivera's body onto the street.

Police said it was unclear whether he had left a suicide note.

Holy cow. I've read about that purely in the context of an awesome theoretical idea to commit suicide (an xkcd comic maybe?). Now someone has done it...
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

That man had a goal, and he had the balls to pursue that goal.