News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Anyone have suggestions for formatting Excel data sheets and tables within emails so that they're easy to read on iPads and iPhones?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2014, 04:43:58 AM
Anyone have suggestions for formatting Excel data sheets and tables within emails so that they're easy to read on iPads and iPhones?

You mean as attachments or embedded text? I think for attachments, your best bet is getting Numbers.

Syt

Not an option as I work on Windows. I work on a Windows PC at work and do Excel reports and statistics. However, the people receiving them only work on iPhones and occasionally iPads. They don't have any workstations (Mac or Win).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Brazen

If they're just for reading not editing, you could save them as a PDF.

Syt

Which I do. They don't want big attachments, though, so one or two pages max.

Some data is in the email as well, but iPhones appear to mess up the formatting a lot, and even embedding graphics instead doesn't work well.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

What I meant is that (I believe) Numbers can open and work on excel files (same was Pages can work on .doc documents).

You can also get MS Office for iOS.

Brazen

Liep

Numbers can screw up some of the functions in an Excel sheet though, so best bet is to use pdf and tell the receivers to suck it up or buy that Office 365 crap.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Our owners won't work with Office. Having them install an app might work, but is doubtful.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2014, 04:34:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2014, 04:12:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2014, 04:02:18 PM
peaceful cornfields and notably minority-free community of It's-Good-To-Be-Whiteland.

What about this boring story activated your racial rage?

The entitlement from all these bedroom community assfucks who want to seal off the county from further expansion (read: black people from the city)--once they've already got their homes and their luxury SUV garages and their kids enrolled in minority-free schools, mind you--offends my sense of economic and social egalitarianism.

It's all good once you get yours, but to bitch and moan when others that try to do the same?  Fuck you and your white daughters.

Well what if the don't even use Verizon?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2014, 11:43:33 PM
The place where I'm staying is "only 13 miles away from downtown".  :lmfao:  I guess it's true what they say about Texas.

So...Plano?

I got burned by this once in the other direction.  When I went to Boston I found a cheap hotel 'only' about seven miles from where I needed to be.  Man seven miles a lot farther in New England than it is in Texas. 

Anyway as you note this is changing, most of the cities have revitalized downtowns for conferences and events and all that.  I find it hard to believe they couldn't put you up in one of the many hotels in downtown Dallas.  I mean the whole downtown is designed specifically to host people like you at events and conferences.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I assume DG will be lynched anyways.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2014, 07:51:29 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2014, 11:43:33 PM
The place where I'm staying is "only 13 miles away from downtown".  :lmfao:  I guess it's true what they say about Texas.

So...Plano?

I got burned by this once in the other direction.  When I went to Boston I found a cheap hotel 'only' about seven miles from where I needed to be.  Man seven miles a lot farther in New England than it is in Texas. 

Anyway as you note this is changing, most of the cities have revitalized downtowns for conferences and events and all that.  I find it hard to believe they couldn't put you up in one of the many hotels in downtown Dallas.  I mean the whole downtown is designed specifically to host people like you at events and conferences.
It's not like they put me anywhere.  The conference itself will be happening in the hotel "only 13 miles away from downtown".  I can choose to stay downtown if I want, but I'll be 13 miles away from my conference.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2014, 07:52:37 AM
I assume DG will be lynched anyways.

Kinky Friedman has his back.