News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 17, 2014, 06:40:13 AM
Or, you could just discipline your kids.

we're talking about genetics here, not discipline  :huh:

Eddie Teach

Brits are genetically predisposed to be noisy? :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Genetics is silly.
But the culture certainly seems to push kids that way. British kids have got  to be amongst the worst in the world.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

So up here in Cracker County, there's been a big stink over the plans to rezone some agricultural land and install a Verizon cell tower (because service sucks) amongst the rolling hills, peaceful cornfields and notably minority-free community of It's-Good-To-Be-Whiteland.

QuoteResidents concerned about cell tower site
Health issues, property values among concerns

By Christian Alexandersen, Times Staff Writer

Residents of Coon Club Road in Westminster are upset with plans to build a 199-foot cellular tower on farm property near their homes.

Verizon Wireless will seek approval from the Carroll County Board of Zoning Appeals at Tuesday's public hearing to build the tower, equipment shelter and backup generator all located within a 50-foot-by-50-foot fenced in area. The proposed location of the tower is the 2400 block of Coon Club Road, which is owned by Duane and Janis Arbuthnot.

A call for comment to Duane and Janis Arbuthnot was not returned by 5 p.m. Monday. Harold Bernadzikowski, a representative for the project, also could not be reached by Monday night.

County Zoning Administrator Jay Voight said property zoned "Agricultural" can have a cellphone tower built on it as a "conditional use." All "conditional uses" must be approved by the county board of zoning appeals before construction can begin, he said.

A number of the surrounding residents have expressed concern over the consequences of erecting a cellphone tower. More than 20 people attended a recent site visit to the proposed cell tower location. Neighborhood concerns include decreased home values, cell tower radiation and having to live near a giant eyesore.

"[The community] is concerned about the property values going down," said Fran Lathe, who lives with her family on Coon Club Road.

Lathe said she and her husband purchased their home because they thought the farm property behind them could not be developed. Other than the seasonal smells of planting, Lathe said she and her family enjoy living in front of a farm.

But, as Lathe found out, farm owners may be allowed to have a cell tower built on their property if approved by the county. Notices were sent to property owners telling them of the tower plans. Lathe, who lives directly adjacent to the tower site, said she never received a notice.

Since finding out about the plans, Lathe said she's collected about 30 signatures from surrounding residents to keep the cell tower out of the neighborhood. One of the most voiced concerns, other than a possible drop in property value, is about radiation coming from the cell tower, Lathe said.

"We still don't know the long-term health effects [of cell towers] because they haven't been around that long," Lathe said. "There's so many other places that they could put it where it would not be on top of houses."

Fuck you and your privileged Soccer Mom NIMBYism.  Hope they bring in a bus line next.  And then drop Dunbar High right on your sense of minivan entitlement.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 17, 2014, 01:24:29 PM
Genetics is silly.
But the culture certainly seems to push kids that way. British kids have got  to be amongst the worst in the world.

Well for one they exist, as opposed to Japanese children.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2014, 04:02:18 PM
peaceful cornfields and notably minority-free community of It's-Good-To-Be-Whiteland.

What about this boring story activated your racial rage?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2014, 04:12:04 PM
peaceful cornfields and notably minority-free community of It's-Good-To-Be-Whiteland.

The entitlement from all these bedroom community assfucks who want to seal off the county from further expansion (read: black people from the city)--once they've already got their homes and their luxury SUV garages and their kids enrolled in minority-free schools, mind you--offends my sense of economic and social egalitarianism.

It's all good once you get yours, but to bitch and moan when others that try to do the same?  Fuck you and your white daughters.

Savonarola

When I worked in Cellular we once had remonstrators show up when we were building a tower in a landfill.  Apparently we were going to destroy the property values of people who had bought homes next to a dump; and then kill them with radio frequency.  All in a day's work.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

All the "NO TOWER!" yard signs make me lulz.

Admiral Yi

:D Squeeze, were you horribly sodomized by a bloodthirsty gang of American sailors when you were a lad?

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2014, 04:34:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2014, 04:12:04 PM

The entitlement from all these bedroom community assfucks who want to seal off the county from further expansion (read: black people from the city)--once they've already got their homes and their luxury SUV garages and their kids enrolled in minority-free schools, mind you--offends my sense of economic and social egalitarianism.

It's all good once you get yours, but to bitch and moan when others that try to do the same?  Fuck you and your white daughters.

Which is why all plans should be made by a committee at the center.  A central committee, as it were.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

I'm going to a conference next year.  In Dallas.  :bleeding:

Ok, so even in Texas cities, there have to be downtowns that are pedestrian-friendly, and where you can walk around to explore the surroundings.  Yes, there is a downtown in Dallas.  The place where I'm staying is "only 13 miles away from downtown".  :lmfao:  I guess it's true what they say about Texas.

sbr

alfred russel

I want to see a game in Jerry World.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2014, 11:43:33 PM
I'm going to a conference next year.  In Dallas.  :bleeding:

Ok, so even in Texas cities, there have to be downtowns that are pedestrian-friendly, and where you can walk around to explore the surroundings.  Yes, there is a downtown in Dallas.  The place where I'm staying is "only 13 miles away from downtown".  :lmfao:  I guess it's true what they say about Texas.
Is where you're staying even in Dallas? :blink:
Nothing is ONlLY 13 miles from anything
██████
██████
██████