News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2014, 06:00:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2014, 10:32:32 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/08/upshot/how-the-year-you-were-born-influences-your-politics.html

Do I get to be white for the purposes of this? At any rate it says a white person my age, was nearly a fan of Bush at age 20 but has then steadily leaned towards Obama. :(

You get to pick.  Anywho, mine says I went full GOP during the Reagan years and never looked back.  Pretty accurate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

I'm dismantling my computer tomorrow morning.
Scary. :(
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2014, 11:05:37 AM
I'm dismantling my computer tomorrow morning.
Scary. :(

You should be well accoustumed to this, everything scares you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 04:31:10 AM
Germany requires that Turkish wives/husbands who want to move from Turkey to Germany to live with their partners have to pass a basic German test. This was meant to increase integration of Turkish migrants and to avoid ghettoization where Turkish families with little to no knowledge of German stick together, and also to help reduce cases where Turkish residents "import" a Turkish wife.

The European Court of Justice has now ruled that this is not in line with European law and hinders integration and quality of life of Turkish immigrants to Germany.

It does seem like that law is more about putting additional obstacles in the way of Turkish immigrants than expediting integration.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 10, 2014, 11:20:45 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 04:31:10 AM
Germany requires that Turkish wives/husbands who want to move from Turkey to Germany to live with their partners have to pass a basic German test. This was meant to increase integration of Turkish migrants and to avoid ghettoization where Turkish families with little to no knowledge of German stick together, and also to help reduce cases where Turkish residents "import" a Turkish wife.

The European Court of Justice has now ruled that this is not in line with European law and hinders integration and quality of life of Turkish immigrants to Germany.

It does seem like that law is more about putting additional obstacles in the way of Turkish immigrants than expediting integration.

Yeah, I can see why they slapped it down.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 06:46:48 AM
Yes. It was referred to that court by an administrative court in Berlin, because they had doubts if the law was in line with a 1970 treaty between EU and Turkey that no additional restrictions for migrants from Turkey to the EU should be introduced.
Interesting. That seems like a fair ruling then.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jul/10/125-thousand-pounds-brixton-flat
Quote£125k for Brixton flat – only just room for a single bed
Converted garage attracts queue of buyers, but may now be rented for £700 a month
Lisa Bachelor
theguardian.com, Thursday 10 July 2014 17.16 BST

Further evidence of the madness of the London housing market has emerged with buyers apparently falling over themselves to live in a converted 110 square feet (10 square metre) garage in Brixton initially on sale for £125,000 and about to be up for rent at an estimated £700 a month.

The flat, which an employee at estate agents Kinleigh, Folkard & Hayward, which has been marketing the property, described as "a converted garage that is just about big enough to fit a single bed in" went on the market two weeks ago with the £125,000 price tag. Buyers initially queued up to see it, the agent said, but were unable to get a mortgage on it due to its size.

Eventually a cash buyer offered £85,000, which was initially accepted but then declined as being too low by the owners. The owners now intend to rent it out and KFH said it believes they can do so for £700 a month.

"The boiler is shot and the electrics need changing but it should rent out quite easily for £700 a month in good condition," the agent said.

The Brixton property, which is causing a mixture of consternation and amusement on Twitter, is the latest to shock onlookers with its price tag. In May 2013, London's "skinniest house" went on the market for £450,000 in Denmark Hill, despite measuring just 99 inches, or 8ft 3 across, at its widest part. At the back the galley kitchen measured a mere 62 inches, or 5ft 2 across.

Further north in the capital, a tiny studio flat in Islington described as a "rabbit hutch" was up for rent in last month at £737 per month. Despite its size, it was snapped up by eager renters less than 16 hours after being advertised.

However, in a further development that may cause concern for the owner of the Brixton flat, the Islington flat was taken off the market after inspectors from the council ruled it was too small to meet legal requirements.

*Commits hari-kiri* :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Heh, London has Toronto beat. Here, you can buy a converted garage and live in it for less - $165,000 rather than £125,000 .  :lol:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/real-estate/210-sqft-toronto-home-sells-for-165000---and-sorry-no-bathroom/article14272205/

QuoteThe converted garage measures 210 square feet on a 14-by-20-foot lot. It has a sitting room and a wee bedroom but no bathroom or kitchen.

No toilet or kitchen, though.  :(

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2014, 12:52:09 PM
Oh, did you find a Hispandex chart?  :P

:lol:

Nah, I'd fit that one to a T, probably.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Hey, I think I found the perfect girl for Seedy.  Apparently she works at a Burger King in Columbus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67z_xBe07Q#t=35

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2014, 01:04:35 PM
Hey, I think I found the perfect girl for Seedy.  Apparently she works at a Burger King in Columbus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67z_xBe07Q#t=35

Why are they stalking her?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 10, 2014, 12:59:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2014, 12:52:09 PM
Oh, did you find a Hispandex chart?  :P

:lol:

Nah, I'd fit that one to a T, probably.

My wife's Latina friends here (I guess they're my friends as well but she's much closer to them) are all over the map politically.  And I mean that on an individual level.  None of them seem to fit any definition too well.