Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

R8s are a really nice car.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2014, 05:38:02 PM

Was the 50s one a winner?
I hope they haven't just chose a random crap one from then.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

http://laughingsquid.com/social-pool-an-isolated-pool-in-the-southern-california-desert-that-is-open-to-the-public/

QuoteThe outdoor installation "Social Pool" is a small, public pool by Austrian artist Alfredo Barsuglia that is located in an isolated stretch of the Mojave Desert in Southern California. The installation features an eleven by five foot pool, a solar-powered filtration system, and a lockable cover that can only be accessed with a key located at the MAK Center for Art and Architecture in Los Angeles. Upon receipt of the key, prospective pool-goers are given the GPS coordinates of the installation. The pool is several hours drive from Los Angeles and a long distance from the nearest road. "Social Pool" is open May 1st to September 30th, and there are no reservations.

Pool closed:

Pool open:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

A pool in the Desert during summer?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Well that's not a waste of money :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Made five bucks on the scratch off today.  Still holding out for that $200k payday. -_-

What I would do, what I would do... I don't even know.

"Student loans?" you say?  Remind me never let you manage anyone's money, possibly even your own.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Are you serious?

That's obviously what you should do with the money first.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 04, 2014, 01:39:14 AM
Are you serious?

That's obviously what you should do with the money first.

He probably figures he could still get away with not paying all of it. :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Of course I'm serious, I wouldn't mention it if I weren't.  It would be throwing away $120,000, considering the favorable terms by which the government has seen fit to let me soft default.  And funnily enough they don't seem to have considered the moral hazard of student debtor-lottery winners (stranger, though, that they did not consider the possibility of student debtor-heirs)--to the best of my knowledge they never decided to put in any language wherein a windfall triggers a call on the debt or anything like that.

It's like this.  Since going on PAYE, if my income remains steady, I will pay about $30,000 of my debt over 20 years, at which point it will be discharged (and I will owe taxes, amounting to maybe another $40,000, which would ordinarily be written down thanks to the insolvency provision of the IRC).

If I won $200k--I believe it's taxes paid--my PAYE rate would increase for the following year to the maximum rate, due to my one year's worth of $300k or so in AGI.  This means about $18,000 in payments would be due and the following year I would return to about $150 a month.  (I could possibly use an alternative documentation of income even in Year One, but it might be worth the $17k to avoid the publicity and public shaming of my own person, and the PR damage that could accrue to the program, which I think is tremendously worthy.  Still, it might be worth considering.)

This would leave me $182k to do with as I saw fit.  I would sink it into assets the IRS couldn't touch, namely a home (which would also save me rent) and a nice used Camry.  I'd also pay off my consumer debt.  I'd then have about $20k left for a rainy day/retirement fund, which I believe would also be shielded from the IRS (if not, blow it slowly in a lawful way).  Except I might take about $5k, buy all the expensive Disney and Criterion films I want that are on blu-ray and/or a take hooker jaunt to Nye County, Nevada, and indulge myself with a $3000 sleepover with a 95 pound Japanese woman, which as you know is something I've always wanted to do and would be a fitting apex to my heretofore meaningless existence.  Then I would get married and have children, effectively killing the past and coming back to life.

The only benefit to paying it all off would be to my credit.  And if I already own a home outright, BFD.

Financial planning, thy name is Ideologue. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

P.S.: If it's not taxes paid, no sex worker, and the ordinary number of blu-rays.  Still a home (possibly with a mortgage :yuk: ) and Camry.
Kinemalogue

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Darn, I was hoping to listen to some Nigerian metal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

A couple of those Greek bands are pretty good actually.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers