And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2014, 07:53:23 PM
A degree in HR? :blink:

Anyone with that should be unemployable. I wouldn't even be able to guess if they were literate. I mean how do you study that? :blink: :bleeding:

Over here it would be employment law, salary calculation/accounting, social security rules etc. and working up from there. Or apply with an MBA which becomes and more and more the default for many mid level and higher administrative jobs in large companies/corporations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on May 26, 2014, 12:32:17 PM
Well then I don't get it.

I've applied for jobs were I was without the shadow of a doubt the best qualified candidate, because I had actual experience doing the exact same thing at major customers and there can't be 3 guys with my profile in the whole country (it's kind of eclectic). Yet the phone didn't ring even once.

My division has about 3500 employees in Germany and we have 4 HR people and their manager to handle that. Their role is not limited to recruitment, but also development and target processes and solving labor issues. They are not doing payroll and stuff like that though. I don't think they even have the time to micromanage recruiting. At least they do not participate in the interview phase of the hiring process.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2014, 03:39:30 AM
Over here it would be employment law, salary calculation/accounting, social security rules etc. and working up from there. Or apply with an MBA which becomes and more and more the default for many mid level and higher administrative jobs in large companies/corporations.
And that's just the administrative/legal stuff. They will also learn how to interview or negotiate with applicants, how to hold assessment centers, how to design incentive schemes, how to train people, maybe stuff on how to solve difficult labor relations such as addicted employees, underperforming employees etc., evaluating employee fitness for the job etc.
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to study HR at least as focus of general management studies...

Valmy

We took a family trip to San Antonio this weekend and went to the theme parks and man it is amazing to me how many Indians and other flavors of Asians are in Texas now.  Either that or Asian people really love theme parks for some reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Did you: piss on the Alamo?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 27, 2014, 08:31:12 AM
Did you: piss on the Alamo?

Actually it was the first time I had ever been to San Antonio and NOT go to the Riverwalk and the Alamo.  I even stopped by that one time I came down to have lunch with Oex.  3 year olds and 1 year olds are a little young to appreciate those things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Hey kids! Davey Crockett was shot here by greasy Mexicans!

Ed Anger

I took the twins shooting. They got to load their rifles for the first time. One round at a time.

Little shits are getting good.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2014, 06:11:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2014, 06:09:14 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2014, 06:06:11 PM
I loathe HR with a passion. A bunch of Meri types clucking all day long.

Now, now...that would be insulting Meri, and wholly unnecessary.

I'm a jerk.

Yeah but you're not as successful at it as I am :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 27, 2014, 08:41:20 AM
I took the twins shooting. They got to load their rifles for the first time. One round at a time.

Little shits are getting good.

:thumbsup:  I hope Lola will be as accurate with a pistol as her mom is. 

I haven't bought Tommy his BB gun yet.  Might make it a Christmas gift for full Christmas Story effect.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

You'll shoot your eye out.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 27, 2014, 08:50:53 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2014, 06:11:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2014, 06:09:14 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2014, 06:06:11 PM
I loathe HR with a passion. A bunch of Meri types clucking all day long.

Now, now...that would be insulting Meri, and wholly unnecessary.

I'm a jerk.

Yeah but you're not as successful at it as I am :contract:

:(

I need to use a sock puppet. And have the time to invest in trolling. I don't even have the time to fuck with the retards at Jezebel.  :mad:

#hashtagssolveallproblems

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2014, 08:29:46 AM
  Either that or Asian people really love theme parks for some reason.

They do.  They really, really do.

Ed Anger

Bored bored bored bored bored.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2014, 09:26:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2014, 08:29:46 AM
  Either that or Asian people really love theme parks for some reason.

They do.  They really, really do.

We don't have many Asians around here, but we seem to be accumulating muslims going by their representation our local theme park.