News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

It helps but I'm sure lacking a bible belt conservative culture also helps that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on May 22, 2014, 11:13:01 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2014, 11:02:54 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2014, 10:57:24 AM
Our unemployment rate is still 3-4 points lower than France's.  But I'm shocked to hear of Krugman twisting numbers.
So France has both higher employment rate, and higher rate of people who are not employed but would like to be?   :hmm:  And we're supposed to be the hard-working ones?

I suspect French regulations mean it's easier to raise a family while working full time, so you get less stay-at-home moms.

I am pretty sure being a stay at home mom in France would raise eyebrows.  It is not quite seen as the positive good we see it here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2014, 11:15:14 AM
It helps but I'm sure lacking a bible belt conservative culture also helps that.

I don't think that makes that much of a difference these days.  Even in the dreaded Bible Belt, moms work if they need to.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2014, 11:15:14 AM

They've got a crapload of Muslims though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2014, 10:57:24 AM
Our unemployment rate is still 3-4 points lower than France's.  But I'm shocked to hear of Krugman twisting numbers.
He's not twisting numbers, this is fascinating:

Everyone knows France has a higher unemployment rate anyway, that's boring.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Looks like France's number tracks with the rise and fall of the euro.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Capetan Mihali

So more Americans have given up looking for work or gone on disability, you think?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 22, 2014, 11:58:52 AM
So more Americans have given up looking for work or gone on disability, you think?

Yeah.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 22, 2014, 11:58:52 AM

Seven of them have specifically gone on disability, just to take derfetus' tax money.  And they're all minorities, because that's an added bonus.

derspiess

Check your privilege.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2014, 12:21:24 PM
Check your privilege.

You best check yourself before you wreck yourself.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2014, 12:28:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2014, 12:21:24 PM
Check your privilege.

You best check yourself before you wreck yourself.

:hmm:

I check my privilege constantly.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2014, 11:55:07 AM
He's not twisting numbers, this is fascinating:

Everyone knows France has a higher unemployment rate anyway, that's boring.

Obama really has brought change!

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2014, 12:29:45 PM
Still there?  Good.

Not sure.  I couldn't get anyone to wait on me at one of the Findlay Market butcher locations this afternoon.

MAH BIERMETTS :(