And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 25, 2014, 12:24:22 PM
DerFaschist is defending a Democrat.

Well, that's only because Truman personally rode the A-Bomb as it dropped on Japan, whoopin' and hollerin' all the way down; he was shielded from the atomic blast hurting him by his enormous, radiation-proof balls. That makes him an honourary Republican.

Or at least, so I learned watching an Oliver Stone documentary.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2014, 12:46:35 PM
I've gone back & forth in my opinion of Truman.  I've settled on an overall positive view.

I think the Truman administration got the big calls right, but mismanaged a lot of the smaller stuff.

Basically, Truman was like Obama.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2014, 12:46:35 PM
I've gone back & forth in my opinion of Truman.  I've settled on an overall positive view.

Cameo. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

I enjoyed David McCullough's biography on Truman.

I have no idea if there was a political slant to it, I wasn't looking for that, but it was a good read.

Valmy

Damn.  Does McCullough have a political slant?  He has done so many different American History things.  I would think mostly being an apologist for his subject.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2014, 11:48:17 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2014, 11:10:25 AM
By the standards of today, probably. What's his explanation for his desegregation of the military? That surely paints him as progressive by the standards of his time.

That was somehow omitted from the documentary.  I had to send my coworker a link to Executive Order 9981 to prove it happened.  Wasn't enough to get him to question Stone's characterization of Truman, unfortunately.

He also pushed for universal healthcare.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2014, 01:23:51 PM
Damn.  Does McCullough have a political slant?  He has done so many different American History things.  I would think mostly being an apologist for his subject.

I don't know or care, I just wanted to get in front of the "Oh MCullough he is so ..." brigade if there happened to be one.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

David McCallum is great.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2014, 01:24:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2014, 11:48:17 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2014, 11:10:25 AM
By the standards of today, probably. What's his explanation for his desegregation of the military? That surely paints him as progressive by the standards of his time.

That was somehow omitted from the documentary.  I had to send my coworker a link to Executive Order 9981 to prove it happened.  Wasn't enough to get him to question Stone's characterization of Truman, unfortunately.

He also pushed for universal healthcare.

As did Nixon.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Obama pushed it in front of the bus. Or was that his granny?

Malthus

Well, this is disturbing. 25 dead cats found hanging from trees in bags.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/04/25/dead-cats-plastic-bags-woods-new-york/8141177/

Neighbour says: 'well, it was always dirty back there, so I didn't notice'.  :huh:

Nice neighbourhood ...

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on April 25, 2014, 12:58:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 25, 2014, 12:24:22 PM
DerFaschist is defending a Democrat.

Well, that's only because Truman personally rode the A-Bomb as it dropped on Japan, whoopin' and hollerin' all the way down; he was shielded from the atomic blast hurting him by his enormous, radiation-proof balls. That makes him an honourary Republican.

Or at least, so I learned watching an Oliver Stone documentary.  :)

You trying to give me a boner?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on April 25, 2014, 01:31:46 PM
Heh, I'd love to move to this town.  :Joos

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/11/matajudios-jew-killer-town_n_5133302.html

:lol:

Apparently the name comes from a typo by some clerk back in the XVIth century.  :lol:

alfred russel

So I have another question about the bots trying to take over our forum...

I understand that the ones reading, logging in, and registering are probing our defenses; trying to spread their bot messages.

But what are the ones printing threads doing? I can only guess that they have moved on to a higher plane of intelligence, beyond the level of me to comprehend their actions. The singularity is here?

[I may be wrong on this--I thought the same thing as I watched EU AI armies congregate in a single low supply province in the middle of winter]
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014