Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Stone's still pissed he was drafted.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2014, 10:41:43 AM

I thought he volunteered.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2014, 10:05:48 AM
Always thought the Tu-95 was a typically ugly Soviet machine.

It would make beautiful wreckage, the unpainted aluminum a stark contrast to the flames engulfing it, like an ignited Christmas tree.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2014, 10:42:28 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2014, 10:41:43 AM

I thought he volunteered.

In any case, it's obvious he did not enjoy his Southeast Asia all-inclusive travel package.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2014, 10:37:57 AM
Anyway, it's the "Untold History of the US". 

http://www.sho.com/sho/oliver-stones-untold-history-of-the-united-states/home

Basically, Truman was a terrible racist person.  The US and the US alone is responsible for the Cold War.  Stalin wasn't such a bad guy and only wanted good relations with the US and the West.  And a Henry Wallace presidency would have taken the US to an unprecedented era of peace and prosperity.

:hmm:

You....disagree?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 25, 2014, 10:53:36 AM

Basically, Truman was a terrible racist person.  The US and the US alone is responsible for the Cold War.  Stalin wasn't such a bad guy and only wanted good relations with the US and the West.  And a Henry Wallace presidency would have taken the US to an unprecedented era of peace and prosperity.

:hmm:

You....disagree?!

:D

Oh, also Truman dropped both atomic bombs because he felt insufficiently masculine.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

I wasn't aware Truman was a Bomber crewman.

jimmy olsen

By the standards of today, probably. What's his explanation for his desegregation of the military? That surely paints him as progressive by the standards of his time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 25, 2014, 10:01:23 AM
Wow, that must be so old.

It must take forever to wind up the rubber bands on that thing.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2014, 11:10:25 AM
By the standards of today, probably. What's his explanation for his desegregation of the military? That surely paints him as progressive by the standards of his time.

Truman and LBJ are the dudes called out for being huge racists because of how many people they killed in Asia.  But, yeah, they did the desegregation of the military and the Civil Rights Act.  More than FDR or JFK did.

However even guys like WEB Dubois would say things like how it is Black Americans' responsibility to help civilize Africans.  Times were different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2014, 11:10:25 AM

That was somehow omitted from the documentary.  I had to send my coworker a link to Executive Order 9981 to prove it happened.  Wasn't enough to get him to question Stone's characterization of Truman, unfortunately.

Grey Fox

DerFaschist is defending a Democrat.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 25, 2014, 12:24:22 PM
DerFaschist is defending a Democrat.

In the Republican Party membership guidelines, it says you can never defend a democrat, with the exception of any democrat that uses nuclear weapons on non white populations.

:P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

You should give shit to your co-worker making you do that.

derspiess

I've gone back & forth in my opinion of Truman.  I've settled on an overall positive view.