News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Man take my eye of Spacebattles for a few days and the whole forum tears itself apart. What a clusterfuck.

I've seen forum civil wars before (as have we all :lol: ) but they were due to ideological splits. Never seen one explode over sheer incompetence before.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Some guy is listening to what sounds bad romantic balkans pop with lots of high pitched 70s synthesizer, while singing along and missing very note. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2014, 09:55:18 AM
I can't give blood. It never works. Or it could work but the nurses always stop it prematuraly when my pressure drops suddenly.
I tried once.  I asked the nurse if it were normal to feel nauseous.  She didn't respond, but instead called over another nurse, elevated my feet, told me to cough (I argued with her about the need to do that), and disconnected me from the line.  Not going to try again.

I can donate whole blood like a champ.  I fill up the bag quickly and don't feel much different afterwards. 

Last time I participated in a blood drive, however, I let them talk me into doing double red blood cells.  Lying fuckers told me it wouldn't take much more time than whole blood and that I should feel even less of an effect from it.  Well it started out okay, but about 75% of the way there it started slowing down and almost nothing was coming out when I was 90-95% done.  So the dude called someone over who brilliantly suggested he jiggle the needle around a bit-- then again & again.  They finally figured I had some clotting going on but that I should just "sit tight" because it was oh so important to try & fill the second half of that bag up all the way.  For the first time ever with donating blood I felt faint & dizzy.  I finally said I was done & told them to take the needle out.  No way in hell am I doing that again.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

MAH CIRCULARS

Kentucky mailman hid mail in dead mom's house
Andrew Wolfson, The Courier-Journal; 10:12 a.m. EDT April 23, 2014

On the popular sitcom "Seinfeld," fictitious letter carrier Newman hid bags of mail in Jerry's basement storage locker rather than deliver it.

Real life mail man William "Brent" Morse of the western Kentucky city of Dawson Springs, stashed his in his dead mother's house and a rented storage facility — at least 44,900 pieces of it.

"He wanted to speed up his route," said city police Capt. Craig Patterson, who arrested him last year. "I think he was lazy."

Morse, who had been a letter carrier for five years, was sentenced by Chief U.S. District Judge Joseph McKinley Jr., to six months in jail, followed by six months on home incarceration, for destroying, hiding and delaying the delivery of U.S. mail.

Federal sentencing guidelines called for him to get a two-year sentence, but McKinley gave him less because he didn't steal from the mail and only a few of the 250 mail recipients on his route suffered financial losses.

McKinley also ordered him to pay $14,808 in restitution to local residents, a bank and two other businesses for their losses. He had pleaded guilty in December and was sentenced last week. The sentence was announced Tuesday.

U.S. Postal Inspector Adel Valdes, a spokesman for his agency, said it doesn't rank such crimes by size but "this was a big one."

The New York Post reported in March that a Long Island letter carrier had been charged with throwing about 1,000 pieces of mail into trash bins. In Australia, The Age in Victoria reported last year that a carrier for Australia Post was charged after about 10,000 undelivered pieces of mail were found in his bedroom. His lawyer later told a court that he was "overawed" with his duties and could no longer cope, The Age reported.

Morse's lawyer, federal public defender Patrick Bouldin, said that his client was going through a divorce, was responsible for picking up his children during the day, and would "store" his mail if he hadn't finished delivering it.

"It's not that he was stealing anything from it," said Bouldin, who added that the missing mail represented only a tiny fraction of the 1.2 million pieces Morse was responsible for delivering.

Valdes said the scheme was uncovered when the owner of the storage facility found the door ajar, saw U.S. Postal Service crates inside and called police and the postmaster.

But Patterson said police first found the mail in the mother's house, and that Morse initially insisted — falsely — that that was the only mail he had stashed.

Morse also was convicted of theft in state court for cashing about $31,000 in Social Security checks made out to his deceased mother, Patterson said, and placed in diversion for five years, according to the Hopkins County commonwealth's attorney's office.

U.S. Attorney David Hale said in a statement that Morse dumped mail for two years, ending in March 2013, and destroyed at least 1,000 more pieces. Most were advertising circulars, Valdes said.

Sue Brennan, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Postal Service, said, "We take the sanctity of the U.S. mail very seriously and the Postal Inspection Service and the Office of Inspector General prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone who violates that trust."

Despite Newman's claims on "Seinfeld" that no letter carrier delivers more than 50 percent of his mail, the Postal Service says that 94 percent of the First Class mail scheduled for two-day delivery last year was delivered on time.

The National Association of Letter Carriers called Morse's case "an unfortunate, isolated incident" and said virtually all mail is delivered as intended. It also noted that letter carriers are consistently rated the most trusted federal employees.

Hale said the Postal Service has since delivered the mail recovered from Morse to its intended recipients in Dawson Springs, which has seven letter carriers and about 2,775 people.

Mayor Jenny Sewell said she could have done without one of the letters she finally received.

It was a bill from her dentist, for work she had a year ago.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2014, 11:27:37 AM
I can donate whole blood like a champ.  I fill up the bag quickly and don't feel much different afterwards. 

Last time I participated in a blood drive, however, I let them talk me into doing double red blood cells.  Lying fuckers told me it wouldn't take much more time than whole blood and that I should feel even less of an effect from it.  Well it started out okay, but about 75% of the way there it started slowing down and almost nothing was coming out when I was 90-95% done.  So the dude called someone over who brilliantly suggested he jiggle the needle around a bit-- then again & again.  They finally figured I had some clotting going on but that I should just "sit tight" because it was oh so important to try & fill the second half of that bag up all the way.  For the first time ever with donating blood I felt faint & dizzy.  I finally said I was done & told them to take the needle out.  No way in hell am I doing that again.
What really turns me off is the all-or-nothing approach to taking blood.  You either suck the full pint out of the person, or you just chuck it.  That kind of makes me wonder why I should perform such a personal sacrifice when apparently they have plenty of blood to spare to have such wasteful policies.

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2014, 12:04:54 PM
What really turns me off is the all-or-nothing approach to taking blood.  You either suck the full pint out of the person, or you just chuck it.  That kind of makes me wonder why I should perform such a personal sacrifice when apparently they have plenty of blood to spare to have such wasteful policies.

It might be wasteful but it makes the blood supply significantly more secure.  If they mixed donations that were short to make a pint if there are any issues with the blood you wouldn't easily know which donor was the source of the problem.  It also increases the risk for the patient since a mixed bag carries with it greater danger than one from a single source.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2014, 10:46:37 AM
I can't as I've had some dick.

I'm double disqualified in Canada in that I was in the vicinity of Europe when mad cow disease was going around and I've visited Africa.

sbr

Last time I donated blood they told me that I had Hepatitis and said to not bother coming back. 

I didn't have Hepatitis, but didn't bother going back anyway.

Liep

The stage for the Eurovision 2014 is almost ready and is equipped with a pretty spectacular light show. Fortunately, I'll be out of town those days.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 23, 2014, 12:23:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2014, 10:46:37 AM
I can't as I've had some dick.

I'm double disqualified in Canada in that I was in the vicinity of Europe when mad cow disease was going around and I've visited Africa.

They always have to pull out the old binder when I tell them when & how frequently I've been to Argentina.  Has not disqualified me yet, but they never let me see what they're looking at.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

So, is google down for anyone else?  The check sites say it's up, but I've been unable to connect to google.com (although Youtube works, and I guess maybe my mail does?).  It's weird.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller